Tipless 250g TEZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3367.JPG

jsteurrys wished to see the Barnes 250g TEZ with the tip removed, shot using 50 grain Blackhorn powder; he sent three bullets.

IMG_3370.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse is 25 yard.

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

The after photo shows the last three jugs full of water -- undamaged. The water level in the third jug is down, indicating a slow leak. On the bottom of the second jug one can see a plug of carpet/plywood dropped by the bullet. The bullet can be seen on the ground just behind the left front foot.

IMG_3389.JPG

It appears the bullet cut a plug of carpet/plywood, carried it through the first jug, and into the second jug. The bullet appears to have expanded in the first jug. It seems the expanded bullet carried the carpet/plywood plug into the second jug, where the plug fell off. The bullet punched a leak in the third jug, bounced off, and fell down to the ground.

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

Even with the tip removed, it did not expand as well as the 250 gr Barnes Expander that you tested previously. This is very helpful to me knowing this. The Expander has a larger hollow point than the T-EZ. The T-EZ is a good bullet as long as it has enough remaining velocity when it gets to its target. Thanks again for testing.

This test is with only 50gr of BH. Isn't that like 100gr of BH at over 200yds? I wouldn't say the T-EZ has to be going fast to expand. It has no problem at normal loads and distance.

I'm still not convinced the plywood lets a bullet expand like it would in an animal. Yes, it does show a comparison to other bullets, but maybe some perform better in plywood.

jsteurrys said:
Even with the tip removed, it did not expand as well as the 250 gr Barnes Expander.......
Yesterday, when your package came, and i saw the tez bullets, i wondered how they compared to the mz bullets. Dropped the mz on the floor getting it out of the dam plastic welded together, and took this photo. Note the mz has a significantly larger hollow.

IMG_3368.JPG

If i correctly recall the mz left the third jug undamaged, whereas this tez ruined the third jug for future use.

jsteurrys said:
Even with the tip removed, it did not expand as well as the 250 gr Barnes Expander that you tested previously. This is very helpful to me knowing this. The Expander has a larger hollow point than the T-EZ. The T-EZ is a good bullet as long as it has enough remaining velocity when it gets to its target. Thanks again for testing.

What is wrong with this ?

Seeing how it failed the test with the tip in, I thought that the petals might have roll back more with the tip removed like the Expander did.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, imgur and my iPad don’t mix well.

This 250 grain TMZ bullet impacted a large doe at approx the same velocity as Ron’s test. It looks very similar to the tested bullet. The doe flipped over backwards and died on the spot. The bullet was recovered on the offside hide and had poked a hole in the hide from a sharp petal.

Attachments

• FAA42E39-39F0-4D93-A0E1-CE83CF416B9D.jpeg
    FAA42E39-39F0-4D93-A0E1-CE83CF416B9D.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts

Back