300 grain Nosler Ballistic tip test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
I ran this bullet in the factory sabot out of my Encore pushed by 100 grains by volume of the Shooters world Multi Purpose Black 3F. My test was simpler than Rons just setting up milk jugs full of water in a row at 100 yards and taking the shot. The bullet sang through all 5 and the target backstop! Though it split the first three jugs the hole in the last jug and the backstop was just a little bit bigger than bore diameter. So I figure to shoot them up in my 45-70 and load 15. Sighted right in with 8 shots a bit over an inch high at 100 yards. Load is a mild 32.5 grains of I4227 for around 1500 fps. Did a jug test the same way as for the muzzleloader and oddly the bullet over expanded and the jacket being found in the second jug, the core in between the 3 and 4th jug! I believe I am getting more velocity from the muzzleloader so the only explanation can be the saboted bullet has no rifling grooves in it to weaken the jacket? Doesn't make sense.

No idea but the jacket on that Nosler bullet is like .040" thick all the way up. The Barnes BO is just as thick but its soft copper and not an alloy. Just for a comparison the 325gr FTX is only .025" thick on the sides and tapers even thinner.

I wonder if the 45-70 being a 1-20 twist and the Encore being a 1-28 twist might be the reason?

Back