ELR 50 Caliber 330g Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would tend to agree. I mostly hunt in thick cover where I can't even see past 40 or 50 yards. Once all the leaves come off, that extends to maybe 70 or 80 yards. At those ranges, I have never lost a deer due to a bad hit with a muzzle loader. Pretty much any 50 cal bullet knocks them down for keeps at such close range so I haven't really had to think about bullet design much. As long as they are reasonably accurate, they do the job.

Doesn't seem that way Ron but I think at the ranges I hunt, most shots in the 50 to 75yds range with a 80 to 90(V) grain of 777 or BH209 charge I see dead deer. Better options out there though.

Seems kinda like this bullet is not appreciated much, even though it caused severe damage to the first bottles, and penetrated deeper than many other bullets in the same set.
I don't know. It did have good penetration and it did expand well. Did you test it with a smaller charge to see what it might do at a distance where the velocity had cooled off somewhat? I think the design was meant for long distance shooting so that might be a relevant test for those western guys and gals that shoot 500 yard shots. As I've noted in other posts, the shots I get while hunting are pretty close range, generally 20 to 50 yards; maybe 70 yards if the leaves are all gone. Pretty much anything 50 cal will kill deer at that range so this is mostly just curiosity on my part.

Of course you are correct, but my reading mass called force was too much, too much, which forced a comment.
I understand. I get in that kind of a mood sometimes too. Precise language can be important. I confess, I did not know at first that grains were an archaic weight measurement. Being a reloader and using a balance to measure powder charges for cartridges in grains, I initially assumed it was a mass.

I would not be afraid to hunt white tails with these bullets. When they first hit the deer they will penetrate a little ways and dump half there weight and ENERGY, creating a massive wound channel, then plows completely through the animal leaving a great blood trail if the animal is not already deceased by shock.. i try to take my animals first with a double lung **** and maybe if the shot presents itself, a high shoulder shot.. mho

I would not be afraid to hunt white tails with these bullets.

G_0374.jpg

Made it out this morning to shoot this Whitetail killer at paper. Too cold to set up table. Intermittent breeze, but not too bad. Made three shots from fouled bore; swabbing between shots. Rifle is Omega 28 twist with QLA cut off.

Load is 105 grain 777ff.

CCI shotgun primer for ignition. Bestill breech plug made for a perfect primer seal; zero blow by.

Is kinda surprising to see the bullet shoot decent from a 28 twist barrel.

Could this bullet be designed for LONG range hits on game, and not closer ranges say 100 and under? There are lots of CF bullets that DO NOT perform at closer ranges, and were designed for long range when the bullet slows down some.

The original Nosler Ballistic tip's were like that
They could have a tremendous bullet if they would use a jacket instead of plating but it look's like Hornady has that market covered in 50 anyway

Latest posts

Back