To Loctite or not to Loctite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Loctite or not to Loctite bases?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeerNut

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I'm going to be putting the rings and bases on my 10mlbss. Does anybody use an adhesive like loctite for the base screws? All I get is conflicting info on this topic.

Loctite is the way to go. A little heat is all that is needed if removal is difficult.

charlie

I completely clean base screws and receiver threads from any oil etc then put locktite (blue) on threads.

DeerNut said:
Hey Everybody,
I'm going to be putting the rings and bases on my 10mlbss. Does anybody use an adhesive like loctite for the base screws? All I get is conflicting info on this topic.

There really shouldn't be ANY conflict as to the use of Loctite by now. It is absolutely a good idea in any metal thread-locking and sealing application.

You have two different types of torque-- breakaway, and prevailing. In the absence of air and presence of metal, anerobic Loctite forms large molecule chains of carbon that must be crushed in order for the screw to loosen. Not just initially, but all along its path. Not only does it positively prevent vibration loosening, etc., but it is also a sealant. You won't get rust-lock, as no voids are left the around the threads containing oxygen.

The blue Loctite, (#242) is called a whole bunch of things-- but that is the right stuff for base screws, termed "service removable" grade.

Thanks everyone, this was very enlightening! To be honest, I thought your replies would have been in the other direction......no loctite. This just affirms the usefullness of this forum!! I'll be going to pick up some blue loctite.

Thanks again!

I also use blue loctite. It just adds peace of mind.

DeerNut said:
Hey Everybody,
Yes to thread locker! As RW pointed out, the "adhesive" function isn't the main attribute of thread locker, its the "filling in" of all the small spaces.
I also use contact cement on the inside of scope rings to better grip the scope.

I always use locktite I have cases of the stuff(free samples). My brother -in- law was a trainer for locktite and the primary purpose of locktite is so you can get things apart. Anti- sieze is just for making millwrights and mechanic's feel good. Blue for the bases and purple for the rings. You will never have one come loose and they will always come apart.
Redclub

I had a screw come loose on me and the result was a missed buck. Have used it ever since.

Randy, You must have been a salesperson to know that much about locktite. Most people think its just glue. Its too bad it doesn't hold up to heat or I would use it on a breechplug. Never sticks , always comes apart
Redclub

Back