Todays Project - Drilling a Knight Vent Liner Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabotloader said:
Shawn, I think but do not know for sure, that the new Vent Liners are now available on the Lehigh Bullets web site, not Lehigh Defense. I just placed some in my cart and went to check out - the was nothing indicating that they were out of stock.

https://www.lehighbullets.com/product-c ... ventliner/

These are or will be the latest vent liners built for Savage SML application. These should be back to the original version 1 Vent Liner. I think I will be able to tell for sure when they get here.

The one vent liner you have pictured in your picture is a later version of the contract liner and should be the normal liner not the contract liner in the Knight BP or the ones they sold briefly after the contract liners were built.

This is the description of the current liner

Direct replacement vent liner for the Savage MLII muzzleloader and all Lehigh breech plugs.

The domed head and computer modeled internal design improve combusion efficiency and consistency resulting in reduced velocity variation and less ignition fouling.

Vent liners are produced from a MIL-spec steel alloy and are vacuum heat treated to a proprietary multi-step process to extend life.

Mike, That is where I ordered the second Ventliners I got, ordered on March 13th, have not touched them yet. The other 2, that I am using, were the Ventliners I got that were the last that ASG had. They stopped carrying them now. Maybe they are older?? Who knows.

While typing this I decided to go get them out. They look just like the others from ASG, same color. They both have some color to them that to me looks like from the hardening process.

ShawnT said:
sabotloader said:
Shawn, I think but do not know for sure, that the new Vent Liners are now available on the Lehigh Bullets web site, not Lehigh Defense. I just placed some in my cart and went to check out - the was nothing indicating that they were out of stock.

https://www.lehighbullets.com/product-c ... ventliner/

These are or will be the latest vent liners built for Savage SML application. These should be back to the original version 1 Vent Liner. I think I will be able to tell for sure when they get here.

The one vent liner you have pictured in your picture is a later version of the contract liner and should be the normal liner not the contract liner in the Knight BP or the ones they sold briefly after the contract liners were built.

This is the description of the current liner

Direct replacement vent liner for the Savage MLII muzzleloader and all Lehigh breech plugs.

The domed head and computer modeled internal design improve combusion efficiency and consistency resulting in reduced velocity variation and less ignition fouling.

Vent liners are produced from a MIL-spec steel alloy and are vacuum heat treated to a proprietary multi-step process to extend life.

Mike, That is where I ordered the second Ventliners I got, ordered on March 13th, have not touched them yet. The other 2, that I am using, were the Ventliners I got that were the last that ASG had. They stopped carrying them now. Maybe they are older?? Who knows.

While typing this I decided to go get them out. They look just like the others from ASG, same color. They both have some color to them that to me looks like from the hardening process.

Shawn, I think you are correct on the color thought. When I get these new ones will can make a comparison and see if anything has changed. If you just got them in March - I really think they should be the hard ones...

MrTom said:
Just for giggles I ran my gauges thru the 209 plugs from Western Powder as they have had the most 209 usage to date and they are not at .030 yet, but then I am not running a full charge either. One plug is in my Optima Pistol and sees 63 weighed grains of 209 under a 240 grain bullet/sabot. The rifle, an Accura V2, gets a 209 load of 77 grains weighed under a 300 grain bullet/sabot. I think around 100 rounds per plug is close to what's be shot thru each. I clean the plugs very well after shooting and the plugs are stored separate from the guns....not that I think it has much to do with hole erosion. My next investment may be in some of the custom 209 primer blanks that seat a large rifle primer. If what Ron suggests holds tru those could just about eliminate the need for very many extra vent liners to be had on hand.
When the weather is cold, using the magnum large rifle primers, may cause a delay or misfire of Blackhorn powder. A solution to cold weather ignition using rifle primers, may be to use a drill, and enlarge the flash hole to around 0.034". Enlarging flash holes seems foreign to me, because they grow in spite of one's wishes, when one is using shotgun primers. One has to "know" rifle primers won't grow the flash hole, before it seems the correct thing to do. If i hadn't shot over 700 shots through a breech plug with an enlarged flash hole, that never ever grew even 0.001", i would be hesitant.

The blackhorn QRBP is about perfect for modifying to use the PR adapters, because it isn't real difficult to open the flash hole, or the primer socket, in the non-hardened breech plug. Seems like one wouldn't relish opening the flash hole, with a drill, in a good lehigh vent liner, but i wouldn't know; have never tried it. Break the drill trying to enlarge the flash hole, and the vent liner, and drill, are both ruined. :mrgreen:

Good info guys. :yeah:

Hey Ron
How long you getting with the factory Omega plugs? Have you modified those with a vent liner as well, once needed?

Depends on the powder charge. Using 110g of Blackhorn may wear out the plug in 250 or so shots. Whereas 90 grain Blackhorn will allow the plug to last for several more shots. Yes, i have installed vent liners in several Omega breech plugs. Several for me, but also several for folks with less dinero after, than they had before.

Now all I need to do is figure out where in the heck I saw those 209 primer blanks that could be primed with the large rifle primers.

Re: RE: Re: Todays Project - Drilling a Knight Vent Liner Out

MrTom said:
Now all I need to do is figure out where in the heck I saw those 209 primer blanks that could be primed with the large rifle primers.
There was a discussion on those a couple years ago. I was thinking the breech plug had to be modified to accept them?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Todays Project - Drilling a Knight Vent Liner Out

herschel conyers said:
MrTom said:
There was a discussion on those a couple years ago. I was thinking the breech plug had to be modified to accept them?

They are available from PR Bullets in Canada. They have been available for several years now. I got a set many years ago to replace the 25ACP setup I had in my Omega.

https://www.prbullet.com/lrvf.htm

Vari_Flame_2.jpg

And you are correct the BP needs modification to use them

Correction made after pointed out by Ron

Thankyou sabotloader.

Those adapters shown by Sabotloader are the wrong ones. They use small primers, and are not good for Blackhorn powder. The adapters for large rifle magnum primers are shown Here. Also, a LINKY to PRbullet.

ronlaughlin said:
Those adapters shown by Sabotloader are the wrong ones. They use small primers, and are not good for Blackhorn powder. The adapters for large rifle magnum primers are shown Here. Also, a LINKY to PRbullet.

Thanks Ron, I have corrected the post. But just so you know, I have used Small Rifle Mag Primers (SMRP) in the supplied SMRP primer adapter and they will ignite BH very well in a modified Omega style breech plug with a vent liner installed.

Me, i will not ever use the small rifle magnum primers hunting, but i would confidently use the large rifle magnum primers hunting, even in sub-zero weather.

ronlaughlin said:
Me, i will not ever use the small rifle magnum primers hunting, but i would confidently use the large rifle magnum primers hunting, even in sub-zero weather.

I agree... but then I would not use either of the rifle primers (already tried that)- the 209's work really well for me a lot easier to handle, they are water proof and throw-aways afer use... Also helps that I do not use hot 209 primers.... I really wish Remington still made the 209-4.

The new Vent Liners arrives today - They look great and appear to be what the original liners for the Savage were... Testing will now commence

Lehigh_Savage_Vent_Liners.jpg

sabotloader said:
ronlaughlin said:

I agree... but then I would not use either of the rifle primers (already tried that)- the 209's work really well for me a lot easier to handle, they are water proof and throw-aways afer use... Also helps that I do not use hot 209 primers.... I really wish Remington still made the 209-4.

PR Bullet LRMP work great in my Encore 45. Some will never understand. .

Omega45 said:
sabotloader said:
ronlaughlin said:

PR Bullet LRMP work great in my Encore 45. Some will never understand. .

It is not they they not work - they work very well. I had both setups for my Omega's - but I only used either of them for a short while before switching back to regular 209's. For myself they are much more convienent than decapping - re-priming the primer cups, even though I had the reloading tools do it with.

Takes very little time to tap the spent primer out. Its very easy to reprime. Ron knows how simple it is.

Omega45 said:
Takes very little time to tap the spent primer out. Its very easy to reprime. Ron knows how simple it is.

You are exactly right - it does not take a lot of time. In fact I do not even tap them out I push out and push them - but it is sort of a nuisance for myself when all I really need to do is dump some 209-4's out and shoot. I really do not have a problem with the wear or tear on the vent liner. If I get 300-500 shots on a vent liner it is not big deal to replace a $6/7 part.

If you want to use the 'vari-flame' have at it! to each his own but I really am thinking for the majority the 209 is the preferred method. Well actually I really do not even mind using a #11 Mag cap - those work well also.

Back