Traditions Vortex UL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I had my first experience with this muzzleloader today. A guy that bought one got hold of me and asked for some help. He purchased it from a rather large sporting goods store here in MI. The person that helped him, told him that Traditions recommended Barnes bullets and told him that some Traditions barrels can be pretty tight. So he recommended the 250gr T-EZ and that he should use magnum primers. He also picked up a bottle of Bh209. The shooter had a Nikon Pro Staff scope and they mounted and bore sighted it. Well, ok so far....

When he took it out of the case, he didn't really seem as excited as one would expect with a new muzz. Seems he'd shot it a couple times and found a few things that he didn't like about the rifle. He started pointing out some things that he wasn't happy with. Now at this point, I'm kinda wondering why he didn't look it over better before the purchase. His first complaint about the rifle, was that you have to cock the hammer before you can push the safety to ON. Next was the ramrod. Without getting into a lot of it, its too small diameter and just plain SUCKS. He was pretty sure that the person that designed it, never graduated 3rd grade. Personally I tend to agree. His intent is to remove the thimbles and drill them out, purchase a different solid ramrod and cut it to length.

He removed the breech plug and showed me that he'd cleaned it after shooting it but, I think it was more to just show me how it came out. He sounded confident that he had it shooting to hit paper at 100yds, so I told him that we may as well get started.

He measured out 100grs V of BH209 and poured it down the barrel, then grabbed one of the T-EZ's and tried to run it down the barrel. HOLY CRAP! STOP.... you sure you didn't buy a .45??? Needless to say, we pulled the breech plug, dumped the powder out and pushed like heck to get that bullet out. He'd brought his range rod and brush, so I held the rifle while he brushed the living crap out of it for at least 10 minutes. Ran some cleaner a few times and swabbed it until the patches were clean. Time to try again...

Prior to loading, I went inside and got the force gage and wanted to check that loading force. Ended up taking 97# force to start the slide of that bullet but, it seated. It was evident at the first shot that he had to adjust the scope. He fired it a few times and it wouldn't shoot the same POI after he adjusted the scope and it was still very hard to load the T-EZ's. I pulled out a couple TMZ's and replaced the supplied sabot with a crushed rib. It took 84# to get them down the bore. He shot a couple and then they started to load much easier. We then switched back to the T-EZ and they were loading better. However, it just wasn't grouping and he was getting pretty frustrated.

I asked to shoot his rifle a few times and I believe he was quite happy about someone else trying. I loaded the first T-EZ and sent it. He wanted to know if I wanted to check and I just told him, "Nope, just gonna shoot it again." Sent the second round, then told him we'd go look. First time shooting a Traditions and the two bullets were 1..5" apart but, on the far right side of the target. He wanted to adjust and I just said, "Nope, I'd like to shoot it twice more. Both those bullets entered between the other two. Now, we'll adjust.....

First shot went where it should, next shot and the following started moving and grouping at a different spot on the paper. NO DOUBT...... SCOPE. I expect him back in a few days with a new scope.

Overall, the rifle is going to group well with a scope that's not flawed. I think that Traditions should make major changes to the ramrod. I'm not impressed, nor do either he or I, like the hammer having to be cocked to push the safety on. Once he mounts a good scope and breaks it in, I believe he'll get used to it. However after my introduction to the Traditions Vortex, I wouldn't be interested in one myself.

Hornet22savage said:
You know how many single shot rifles and shotguns are out there that don't have a safety. If the hammer in not cocked the rifle is safe.

You're first sentence I understand and I most certainly do, I have enough in my safe to know that.

"If the hammer in (is) not cocked the rifle is safe."

Totally understandable if being bumped it can't strike the firing pin but, to use the secondary safety you have to cock the hammer.

Hornet22savage said:
You know how many single shot rifles and shotguns are out there that don't have a safety. If the hammer in not cocked the rifle is safe.

The T/C Impact does not have a safety.

I have to agree with you on that point. If the hammer rests on the firing pin in the uncocked posistion the rifle could go off if jarred hard enough. In this case the only way to make said rifle safe is to remove the primer (not plauseable in a hunting situation) or cock the hammer and place the saftey on. I'm going to assume that we are discussing a cross bolt style trigger block saftey here. I will go farther to say that in my opinion the design is poor and the action should include a half cock hammer saftey such as is found on Lyman side locks.

I will add that at least the maunfacturer reconizes the need to cock the rifle for it to be safe and the design of not being able to place the saftey on unless the rifle is cocked relfects this. It would do absoultely no good to place a saftey on that blocks the trigger acutation if the rifle could still go off.

I shoot a Traditions Ambush Pursuit and had problems like you . I Ordered a Traditions single peice base , cleaned everything with alcohol, used loc-tite blue on all screws, and torqued everything with an inch/pound torque wrench. If you do all this, you shouldn't have a scope problem.

I found that the bases supplied by Traditions had enlongated holes and didn't seat in line with one another. My rifle initially shot 7" to the right and I found this to be true after seating the one peice base also. I wonder if this is a trait of Traditions B/p rifles? Moot point now though, since mine is shooting as good as my old eyes let me.

Try 70 gr of BH209 with saboted bullets and you might find a little lighter recoil. This might be your friends problem in shooting.

Good luck and happy shooting Semper Fi!!!

Back