Tree hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of tree stands, I can't remember if I asked this before, but I also like to move around so I mostly hunt on the ground and hit where I aim consistently, but when I do get into my father-in-law's permanent stand it seems I can't hit the broad side of a barn. It doesn't seem logical, but do you aim differently from above the ground?
I don't aim any different than if I'm in my stand or hunting on the ground. I haven't seen any difference in shot placement.

You are correct, bronko!!! And he extended his cornfield to surround the stand, so I am shooting no more than 20 yards......resting on the widow frame.....thanks.............

Speaking of tree stands, I can't remember if I asked this before, but I also like to move around so I mostly hunt on the ground and hit where I aim consistently, but when I do get into my father-in-law's permanent stand it seems I can't hit the broad side of a barn. It doesn't seem logical, but do you aim differently from above the ground?
When shooting down, you should move your sight down whether you are in a stand or on a hill. I would place a good size target out at different ranges to determine this. I have learned this the hard way.You have to determine the arch. Picture throwing a soft ball may help. It is really easy to rely on the sight because it is comfortable but one must compensate to get an accurate shot. My guess is that you are shooting high.

I retired from hunting several years ago. But elevated vs on the ground has, for me, been about 50/50. I've hunted from various climbing stands, wood ladder stands. nice metal ladder stands wood built tree platforms, you name it. On the ground I sat on a cushion, used brush and fallen trees for cover and finally found a folding lightweight canvas chair. As I got older I had a hard time getting down on the ground and worse trouble getting back up. Success from elevated stands was the same as success on a ground blind. I also walked a few deer up as well. Either way was fine with me until I got too old and didn't feel safe elevated.

Hanging stands bow Etc, ladder stands ,and platform stands ,sometimes a pop-up blind or a box stand I hate being inside of a box though, im not claustrophobic I just like to enjoy the view, but for some reason when it's about 20° that box and that pop looks a little better to me,,, I have a little folding seat that I probably spend more hours in than anywhere it's got a strap put it on my back and I hit the woods and hunt all day long,,,,, all of these were Texas methods for me in the Hills here in South West Arkansas it's a whole other world most of the locals hunt out of their pickup trucks driving slowly up and down the dirt roads in the national forest. My favorite would be a big open platform up in the fork of a tree that's got good can just set a comfortable chair and maybe put up a shooting rail,, man I can't wait till deer season!!!

I use a pair Summit climbing stands and luv them. I'm 75 and climbing has been no problem. Carrying any tree stand along with back pack and rifle for more than a half mile is becoming a problem for me so I'll probably stash them in the woods this year. Up until now the stand came in and out with me to avoid theft.

I use a pair Summit climbing stands and luv them. I'm 75 and climbing has been no problem. Carrying any tree stand along with back pack and rifle for more than a half mile is becoming a problem for me so I'll probably stash them in the woods this year. Up until now the stand came in and out with me to avoid theft.

I built my favorite two climbers myself. The best of the two was stolen from a private hunting club property.

I built my favorite two climbers myself. The best of the two was stolen from a private hunting club property.
Sorry for your loss. Both of my sons and I have lost tree stands left in the woods for just 48 hours. I remember one opening morning going to my tree and thinking I must be in the wrong place (pre GPS) until I looked up and saw my safety belt 25 feet up. What kind of dirtbag would steal a tree stand from another hunter???

Latest posts

Back