Trouble getting muzzleloader accessories.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadeuses

Reaction score
Jump on Soapbox:

Ok, I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here. This year, we had the worst warm weather conditions during the regular gun deer hunt in Canada that I can ever recall. It was so warm that you could hunt in a T shirt and shorts if you wanted to. No one I knew was successful this regular gun season because the deer just didn't have to move around to stay warm. They could just lie there, basking in the sun's warmth, chewing their cud all day.

Our muzzleloader hunt here is usually scheduled the first week of December, which is usually wintery-like weather conditions, promoting better deer movement. So, taking that into account, I made the decision to buy my first ever muzzleloader and join those that take advantage of those better weather conditions.

So off I go and buy my first muzzleloader. The store that I bought the rifle from had no black powder accessories for muzzleloading, which at the time didn't phase me as I figured I would go online and order the essential accessories needed to start using and learning about this new-to-me aspect of the deer hunting sport.

So here is where my dilemma starts. First, I contacted one of the better shooting sports stores near me and placed an order for the essential muzzleloading accessories one would use to get started. The list included such things as a powder flask and measure, range rod, BP specific cleaning supplies and more. I placed the order the day after I bought the rifle.

So about two weeks after I placed the order, I called back to see what had arrived, as I was anxious to start using this new gun. I was told that nothing had arrived at that time. Ok, I guess it will take a little longer to come in. So two more weeks go by and I check in again. Again I'm told that none of the order has arrived. I am very confused and a little frustrated at this point. I asked the clerk what the delay was and she told me that none of my order would likely arrive until closer to NEXT muzzleloader season! Apparently they were cleaned out of supplies before this season.

What!? I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Not happy with that, I decided to just go online and order the stuff direct to me. Well, to my surprise, I couldn't find an online Canadian store with any stock of what I wanted to order.

The other problem I came across was trying to order from US-based online stores. Upon placing an order it would come up: "unable to ship to your address".

Man, this is getting ridiculous. So now this season has come and gone and my new rifle remains unfired.

This coming Monday I am planning a road trip to three Canadian stores (Bass Pro Shops, Sail and Gagnon Sports) in the hopes they may have something on the shelves to help get me started. Wish me luck.

I'm so jealous of you folks South of 49. I'm sure you guys don't have this much trouble getting your muzzleloader accessories. At least I hope to have some of what I need before next season....

Who's got extra's they can part with and sell to me, Eh?

Ok, Step of Soapbox.

by rangerod » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Make a list and post it on this thread.

Ok rangerod, here goes. I am just going to list the items that I have not been able to get on an online or phone order. I hope my trip on Monday will hopefully reward me with BH 209 and Hornady bullets.

I am still looking for;

a.) T/C U-View Powder flask and Powder Measure. I am preferring them because of the ability to visually see the powder instead of brass ones.

b.) Breech Plug and Fire Channel Brushes for a T/C Encore Pro Hunter XT 209 X 50 with the Speed Breech XT.

c.) An In-line nipple pick.

If anyone can help me out here to obtain these items, I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

I am making a trip to Cabelas this weekend and can get all four items. Suggestion. Skip the flask and instead get a powder pour spot that fits right on the powder bottle. Fits both bh and 777. You just pour direct from the bottle to the measure. Cost looks like $18.00 plus tax for all four.

by rangerod » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Actually $38.00 plus tax. Forgot to include u-view powder measure. :oops:

Hi there rangerod. I have sent you a PM. Thanks for your generous offer.

Cheers.
Dave

Back