Trying poly wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makinsmoke

Reaction score
I ordered some poly wads a bit ago, and finally got around comparing them to the wool I've been shooting in my CVA conversation. It was a whopping 17 degrees here so it wasn't a long experiment. I fired 5 shots each over my chrony.
60 grains h4198
Federal mag primer
250 grain fury
Wool wad.
Accuracy was 1.5" at 100 with a adv velocity of 2368 fps, with a spread of 78 fps..
Same load , only difference was a poly wad instead of wool.
Group size was 1"
Velocity for 5 shots adv 2537 fps with 33fps spread between.
I know accuracy with both loads wasn't the best. I was frozen ( lol ) but from my little test it would seem the poly wads definitely seal better. Going to play with different loads when it gets warmer , plus curious if after a bit I get any plastic built up.
Any one else try poly wads in a smokeless ML. What was your experience...

These are 45, I got them from fury bullets.
I think there like 50 for a dollar.
Have you tried with .060 veggie wads? Some bullets do better with veggie over wool too. We did this test this wknd with a cva blued/blk scout with 275 Fury bullets and they grouped better with veggie wads over wool wads. I will not cut anyone down for what they choose to use but for me I went away from sabots because plastic was the weak link. I never melted any sabots but shredded more than a few. Just info to take or leave.

Have you tried with .060 veggie wads? Some bullets do better with veggie over wool too. We did this test this wknd with a cva blued/blk scout with 275 Fury bullets and they grouped better with veggie wads over wool wads. I will not cut anyone down for what they choose to use but for me I went away from sabots because plastic was the weak link. I never melted any sabots but shredded more than a few. Just info to take or leave.
I will try them, experimenting is 1/2 the fun.

I ordered some poly wads a bit ago, and finally got around comparing them to the wool I've been shooting in my CVA conversation. It was a whopping 17 degrees here so it wasn't a long experiment. I fired 5 shots each over my chrony.
60 grains h4198
Federal mag primer
250 grain fury
Wool wad.
Accuracy was 1.5" at 100 with a adv velocity of 2368 fps, with a spread of 78 fps..
Same load , only difference was a poly wad instead of wool.
Group size was 1"
Velocity for 5 shots adv 2537 fps with 33fps spread between.
I know accuracy with both loads wasn't the best. I was frozen ( lol ) but from my little test it would seem the poly wads definitely seal better. Going to play with different loads when it gets warmer , plus curious if after a bit I get any plastic built up.
Any one else try poly wads in a smokeless ML. What was your experience...
If you make you own ( Felt wads) make them over sized (50 for 45 cal ) you will find a increase in FPS , works with BP so maybe smokeless?/Ed

Fury shoot the best from my custom with the .060" veggie over wool too.

Thanks for the update even if it's a year late. I forgot all about it as I got too many fires going on this year. SIGH
if you get something good going with them let us know,, i used em under wool pretty good too,, got to get some more fodder to test em plain over powder under lead 500+ grain bullets

Back