Use of Different Wads and Smokeless Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you duplex it with H4198? Ive got 8# of sr4759 and as much imr4198 But dont know what situation would call for duplexing them
Reduces temperature sensitivity and is sabot friendly. There was a study done on Doug's Message Board years ago that showed this. Maybe GM54-120 can dig it up.

I've put a lot of rounds down range in the last 5 years smokeless I've yet to shoot a single duplex load,, I have the powders to do that with, I just haven't had the need I don't have to deal with real frigid temperatures where I hunt, and also to me there's that added aspect of just another element in my pack if I'm in the field having to reload which I hope never happens those little microseconds of getting reloaded and having to make sure I've got my duplex primer loads in one pocket or separate from my charge it just ends up being too much for me. Being an accuracy nut though I have to admit if I had a gun that really love a duplex load I would probably work around my mental block. My mind always tends to try to simplify any project if I can make something more efficient and practical I usually go that direction to me single loads just make more sense

The other thing is I am still using the Savage style breechplug with 209 primers which has been proven to not be as efficient as the newer designed breechplug. I also only shoot Barnes bullets, sabot and sabotless, which have their own inherent issues with being solid copper. Shooting duplex is no issue for me. Lane's short tube for the Primary and long tube for the Secondary. Temperatures do get down to 0F here during deer season.

SR4759 is a wonderful powder all by itself for sabot loads upto around 2300-2400fps without trashing sabots. Rock solid ignition too. Around 39-40gr will be about max until it starts getting rough on sabots. Pretty sure it could be used sabotless too if you kept loads on the lower end. Nice low peak. Such a shame that Hodgdon quit making it.
L6OdYSB.png

Sr 4759 is good powder I lucked up on 30 lb of it a couple of years ago I'm sitting on it like a hen waiting for her eggs to hatch,, friend at a gun shop was about to throw it all away for fertilizer,,, I've been using it a lot in 50 cal smokeless and some in my 45,, 45 shoot it good but my 50 loves it

Super good 50cal sabot powder too. One of the best for my NULA and a 275gr BE. Not the fastest or the cleanest but good speed at low peak and dependable in all weather. 42gr and a 275gr Parker is good for around 2250fps+ in mine. There are 2 versions also and the older one in metal cans is hotter but possibly not as good. Really good for 300gr loads if you dont need a ton of speed but want more than 5744.

I have the old cans,,, I have a Remington 700 short barrel 15 inch Brux barrel,,, I can download to around 25-26 grains and let the grandkids shoot it,, piece of cake,, I have been shooting 36 grains with a 250 grain 45 Cal bullet excellent accuracy very easy recoil to manage.

I have some vihtavuori n120 coming. Want to try and get different loads worked up so i am not dependant on one powder alone. With the .45 cal patriot, should I get the 275 gr. Or 300 gr. In the fury black tips, bonded?

I bought the 250 and 275 Fury Black Tips also. I also have Northern Precision 270, Parker Blackmax 275, and Pittman Accumax 278.

I’m measuring charges to use on those next week with 55grains each of N120 and IMR4198. Am also measuring for duplex load 11/59grains N110/H322.

I bought the 250 and 275 Fury Black Tips also. I also have Northern Precision 270, Parker Blackmax 275, and Pittman Accumax 278.

I’m measuring charges to use on those next week with 55grains each of N120 and IMR4198. Am also measuring for duplex load 11/59grains N110/H322.
Will you be doing a Satterlee test?

Thats an awesome line up. Cannot wait for your conclusions..........I just put a bubble level on mine also, figured it cannot hurt...good luck
I consider those bubble levels a necessity. I’d been spending most of my time getting ready for a long distance shooting class next week for my 6.5CM centerfire with best cartridges I can make. That will also be my opportunity to try out the Patriot ML.

Latest posts

Back