Use of Different Wads and Smokeless Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much!
Which bullets are the “LabRadar” verified BC’s applicable for?
Those are the Arrowhead XLD bullets. They shoot extremely accurate and actually was the bullet that won the Atterbury match, along with also being the second place bullet.

I have all the confirmed BC's for most of the Fury bullets but can't locate it. Generally everything is saved in two places, one always being this laptop.

Just note that with the 350gr XLD, that its NOT (G1) but rather (G8). ;)

I love my 6.5 creedmoors. I use to use 270's for ever, but one day the bug bit and i dragged home a cva in 6.5 and a savage. Our shots are 400 yds. And under, i reload 140 gr. Berger vld. They take less powder and do pass throughs on our whietails. Thats why i love them little buggers....

I just shot my 45cal Woodman Patriot for first time today. I worked up to 55grains of smokeless N120 powder smooth forming my lightest 0.452” bullet - 245grain Hornady Interlock. Recoil was firm but tolerable. I was not satisfied with groups with this bullet - may honestly be because I sized it too loose - but plan is to try something else next week. I’ll probably try the 270grain Northern Precision Pinpoints next time.

I too shot the patriot today, checking FPS for a barrel node. I shot the Fury 275, black tip, win 209 primers and vihtavuori n120 powder. Started out low with 49.5 grains, worked in 1/2 grain increments up to 53.0 grains. Did not find any good nodes yet. Going to work my way up to 55.0 grs. Next time. First three shots were fouling shots at the 49.5 grains. When i hit 53.0 grains that little patriot started kicking my shoulder pretty good. Never did this kind of test before on a muzzleloader, hope it pays off. The fps at the 53.0 grains was 2411. Hope to find a node soon. The 275 kick alot harder than the 250's. 20220720_170415.jpg

I too shot the patriot today, checking FPS for a barrel node. I shot the Fury 275, black tip, win 209 primers and vihtavuori n120 powder. Started out low with 49.5 grains, worked in 1/2 grain increments up to 53.0 grains. Did not find any good nodes yet. Going to work my way up to 55.0 grs. Next time. First three shots were fouling shots at the 49.5 grains. When i hit 53.0 grains that little patriot started kicking my shoulder pretty good. Never did this kind of test before on a muzzleloader, hope it pays off. The fps at the 53.0 grains was 2411. Hope to find a node soon. The 275 kick alot harder than the 250's. View attachment 22212
I suggest that you have a good node, right at 2350/1fps at #6 & #7.
That bullet with 51.2/3grs would be what I'd start with.

1658398866328.png

I just shot my 45cal Woodman Patriot for first time today. I worked up to 55grains of smokeless N120 powder smooth forming my lightest 0.452” bullet - 245grain Hornady Interlock. Recoil was firm but tolerable. I was not satisfied with groups with this bullet - may honestly be because I sized it too loose - but plan is to try something else next week. I’ll probably try the 270grain Northern Precision Pinpoints next time.
With SML, loading force isn't the issue. Extensive testing shows that the force to load a bullet has no significant impact on accuracy or velocity with smokeless propellants.
That is NOT the same with BH209 for the record.

Shorty,
My shots were around 4-inches at 100yds so I clearly need to try something else. I’ll clock speeds next time with my Magnetospeed chrony.
What kind of groups did you get?
Frank
P.S. - I honestly spent most of my time doing fantastic long distance shots (750yd) with my 6.5 Creedmoor centerfire.

With SML, loading force isn't the issue. Extensive testing shows that the force to load a bullet has no significant impact on accuracy or velocity with smokeless propellants.
That is NOT the same with BH209 for the record.
Thank you. I’ll definitely try another bullet and multiple powders, I’ll check all torques, and I’ll verify scope on another rifle known to be accurate

Thank you both. I also used the Fury veggie wad. Was not shooting for groups, just wanted a node. I see that number 6 to number 7 even lost 1 fps. I was looking for a three shot node. Did not think a 2 shot node would do. I will try the average as you said Encore50A. Thank you for helping.

Thank you both. I also used the Fury veggie wad. Was not shooting for groups, just wanted a node. I see that number 6 to number 7 even lost 1 fps. I was looking for a three shot node. Did not think a 2 shot node would do. I will try the average as you said Encore50A. Thank you for helping.
That makes sense to me too. Good luck with with it!

Graphing the test out gives you an entirely different perspective.

The graph below is safe IN MY RIFLE. Do not use the charges posted on the graph without KNOWING that they are safe for your rifle.

Here's an example using Benchmark in my rifle. How many nodes do you see???

1stA.JPG

At some point next year I plan on repeating this Satterlee test.

2? Shot 6-7, and 8-9. 2, 2 shot nodes is what i see?
For me, they're all junk which is why I need to do the test over again. When I did shoot for groups, I went with 88.2grs. Not happy with the results, yet.

Again, these loads are safe in MY RIFLE.

There are 2 very good nodes on this chart. I'm shooting the lesser charge and getting (point 3) .3moa at 600yds.

8208XBR Satterlee test 5-13-2020  88.25grs  is node.JPG

Back