Tuner break

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these on their inline

Attachments

• 20240123_145109.jpg
    20240123_145109.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240126_114857.jpg
    20240126_114857.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Hornady just did a great podcast on tuners. Their conclusion after hundreds of rounds was that none of the tuners they’ve tested really do much. Hanging something (tuner or brake) on the end of the barrel likely does more than tuning a tuner.

Hornady just did a great podcast on tuners. Their conclusion after hundreds of rounds was that none of the tuners they’ve tested really do much. Hanging something (tuner or brake) on the end of the barrel likely does more than tuning a tuner.

Setting on tuner ended at 14 .373 group

Attachments

• 20240126_115108.jpg
    20240126_115108.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_115155.jpg
    20240126_115155.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 0
I have known a lot of bench rest shooters that use them ,and I know a lot that don't ,can a tuner affect accuracy I believe it can because it helps tweak harmonics, the combination of a brake Turner I have not been exposed to I don't know about that, I have personally never used them in a bench rest or any rifle however I have to admit at the same time I remain curious and if I had the money to spend on one I would probably experiment many of us who target shoot and are looking for ultimate accuracy and a rifle are willing to try anything that would affect that in a positive way, I think it's an interesting combination to mix a brake with a tuner ,and if you're going to put a break on a rifle anyway why not add the ability to affect harmonics, will it do it in such an efficient way that the product makes it,, I don't know.

I have seen tuners on benchrest rifles that would take a quarter inch group into the teens they've been around for a long time it's nothing new if you are looking for every Avenue possible to put bullets into one hole anything that positively affects harmonics can help if you are only trying to shoot a minute of deer guess it doesn't really matter

As far as mainstream sales I could see where tuners didn't make it ,not many muzzleloaders are concerned with putting bullets in the same hole their mindset just is not that, even in the Centerfire world not many are experimenting with tuners mostly those competing in bench rest or just interested in the most ultimate accuracy possible out of a rifle I tend to be in that group

I'm very concerned about harmonics always ,even in my muzzleloaders, many things affect harmonics especially in a Centerfire rifles, the surfaces of the Rifle action all of the contact surfaces being true to Center ,,Blueprinting if you would, and of course having a concentric well-cut chamber for your cartridge ,the construction of the gun,, neck tension, brass weight and uniformity, primers, powder charges, bullet seating depth,stock bedding, etc,,, it's a much more complex world than muzzleloading now for me I can't get out of that bench with mindset and looking for every little speck of accuracy I can find in a Muzzleloader I've said this before I shoot my muzzleloaders as if they are benchrest rifles a hunt with them I will continue to always but I will always shoot them with the expectations that I place on a benchrest gun I just accept nothing less one other thing I really doubt if a tuner or a break/tuner is going to hurt someone's accuracy in a negative manner is it a cool Gadget a little bit I think so to some degree but sometimes cool gadgets make an engine run better.

You went to the bench rest match this weekend it was just a hundred yard local you're trying to become one of the top shooters in the district you're in just a personal challenge you placed on yourself not that it's going to lead to any type of financial reward or anything you just enjoy it you've been beat for the last two years by three guys you know I'm well they're kind of friends and they're kind of jerks at the same time the competition and the little mental Wars that go on sometimes between you and these guys push your buttons a little bit it's Monday morning you beat one of the guys but two of them spank you both of them had tuners on their rifle I wonder what you'll be thinking about the rest of the day

Forgive me everybody for the passion on this subject I Have Become skeptical of a lot of the so-called knowledge that many of the manufacturers passed down to their customers I often think it's to keep your business rather than give you the best advice I am very adamant about trying things yourself take any knowledge given and test it if you can I very much believe this applies to tuners also most of the time the industry is giving me advice because they want me to buy their product

..................... most of the time the industry is giving me advice because they want me to buy their product
Agreed.

It may be that many of the "items" we see that are supposed to improve something (accuracy), more or less are directed towards centerfire shooting, not specifically to muzzleloaders. Brakes are a excellent example of that.

Most tuners have a neutral setting, a zero in a sense that's not putting any effect at all on the barrel if I'm going to put a break on my gun anyway why not put a break that also has the ability to tune my harmonic if I had one of these fancy gadgets and I didn't want to use the harmonic effect I just leave it on zero turned off if it is a really nice accurate target rifle it sure would be nice to have a little bit more tweak always

Both are going to reduce recoil with the tuner or without, having a tuner that could potentially help me with accuracy is in no way a hindrance it is an asset.

And I would just like to add when you smack my head a tuning fork you can hear my whole body humm! Forgive my ramblings I look at eight or nine machine gun post and I realize I need to calm down I am mellow now I appreciate the topic and the comments

Agreed.

It may be that many of the "items" we see that are supposed to improve something (accuracy), more or less are directed towards centerfire shooting, not specifically to muzzleloaders. Brakes are a excellent example of that.
Jeff has a tuner on one of his match rifles unless he took it off. Inline I'm talking. I might add Harmonics are different on a MZ , they do have a sweet spot when resting a Barrel such as Black Powder Cartridge, which is where most rest their rifle on cross sticks

Back