Tuner break

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do they work? Is it an adjustable weight you can use to either bring weight out or in to reduce harmonics?

How do they work? Is it an adjustable weight you can use to either bring weight out or in to reduce harmonics?
I can see markings on the cap-like part on the very end of it. I assume it can be adjusted in some way similar to a variable power scope.

Jeff has a tuner on one of his match rifles unless he took it off. Inline I'm talking. I might add Harmonics are different on a MZ , they do have a sweet spot when resting a Barrel such as Black Powder Cartridge, which is where most rest their rifle on cross sticks
Yup, he does. It's the 40cal that he shot at Camp Atterbury last fall. Jeff's is just the tuner though, no brake. We talked a little about it and Doug S. was really interested. Wouldn't surprise me if Doug doesn't install one.

I can add some insights on tunners as I've used them quite a bit on different guns mainly rimfire benchrest rifles.
My opinion and it's just that my opinion is that tunners are most helpful when using box ammo factory loaded. Like in rimfire you search out lots of ammo that work well in your particular barrel.
Once I find something that shows promise I can then move the weight out or in depending on the shots vertical characteristics. What I'm looking for is to move the vertical string to either the top or bottom of the harmonic sign wave where the barrel is at its slowest whip.
If you are using the same aim points th shots should move up or down then start to move in the other direction at the point of over correction.
It's not an exact science but had helped my rimfire shooting dramatically.
Shot many perfect scores using one on my cz 455 at exstream long range silhouettes

Now on the flip side I believe similar results are obtained in hand loading cartridges by varying power charge seating depth neck tension bullet weight etc so many variables its hard to quantify when the stars aligned

Muzzleloaders kinda fall into this category with the variable being powder charge and bullet weights

The one place a tunner would have practical application for any gun would be a wholesale change in external environment that effected velocity to a large degree.
Like a 40/50 degree temp change with temp sensitive powders.
Altitude changes of a large degree etc.
For me velocity changes are tge most important factor as time in barrel would ultimately change and so would the release point to some minor degree.

It's important to note that any addition or subtraction of mass to a barrel will in almost every case change point of impact.
So it's an all or nothing kinda thing.
If you develop your external balistics data with a brake or tunner or both you can't take them off and then exspect your shots to be on target with out at least a sight in verification of zero. Even then your pin point accuracy may not be there. As the tune is no longer there.

My rimfire tunners weight is 12 oz
Enough mass to effect harmonics. It's big for sure but it works well.

My opinion is just that opinion.
A very well educated opinion but still my opinion.
John

Last edited:
Back