Turkey Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt 4 Bucks

Reaction score
What is your favorite turkey load?

In Illinois we can not use anything larger than #4 shot.

So my favorite load is Winchester Supreme Turkey Loads Loads, 12ga, 3-1/2", 2 oz of #4 shot.

I am going to pattern these Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Loads, has anybody tried them yet?

XTENDEDRANGE.jpg

I used Federal Premium MAG-SHOK - Heavyweight Turkey shells in shot #6 and they were great...

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
I am going to pattern these Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Loads, has anybody tried them yet?

You bet, No#5 is my favorite so far. I might try some Hevi-Shot this spring.

Win Supreme HV 12 Ga. 3.5" 2 0z No. 5 shot. Gonna try some of the new Fed FliteControls that recently came out but those Wins are hard hitters at 1,300 fps & pattern great in my gun.

Federal Mag Shock with flight control wad. 3 1/2" 2oz of shot. We did a test with some loads that I thought some of you might be interested in. We set up a piece of plywood at 30yds away and put a target on it. First we shot the Win extended range and the wad went about 20 yrds and patterned ok but realy blotchy, next we tried some heavy shot, the wad went about 15yds and patterend terrible, then we shot the federal flight control, the wad hit the target and bounced back about 10ft and the pattern was great. by the way the loads were all 3 1/2" with 2oz of shot #6s

I've been using Winchester Supreme HV 3" w/ 1 ? oz. of #5's for a few years now. They've performed really well for me.
STH123.jpg

Nutt189 said:
Federal Mag Shock with flight control wad. 3 1/2" 2oz of shot. We did a test with some loads that I thought some of you might be interested in. We set up a piece of plywood at 30yds away and put a target on it. First we shot the Win extended range and the wad went about 20 yrds and patterned ok but realy blotchy, next we tried some heavy shot, the wad went about 15yds and patterend terrible, then we shot the federal flight control, the wad hit the target and bounced back about 10ft and the pattern was great. by the way the loads were all 3 1/2" with 2oz of shot #6s

Very interesting Nutt189, what gun / barrel length / choke were you using?

Nic_58 said:
I've been using Winchester Supreme HV 3" w/ 1 ? oz. of #5's for a few years now. They've performed really well for me.
STH123.jpg

These are bad to the bone in my Remington 870. Been using them for about 4 seasons now. :wink:

I get ~165-175 pellets in a 10inch circle routinely with the new WINXR 3.5 #6 2 oz. elite (the elite is the newer nickel platted version) at 40 yards with my win x2 and .665 star dot. It will kick the crap out of you compared to the hevi-13 and rem hevi shot though. The chrono was running right at 1300 for the winxr. 1350 for the federal magshok heavywt. ..1075!!!! for the hevi-13 (great pattern-terrible velocity) and 1225 for the rem-hevishot.

Oh yeah, WIN XR #5's were about 130 in same 10"circle at 40 yards.

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
What is your favorite turkey load?

In Illinois we can not use anything larger than #4 shot.

So my favorite load is Winchester Supreme Turkey Loads Loads, 12ga, 3-1/2", 2 oz of #4 shot.

XTENDEDRANGE.jpg

In my Win 1300 Black shadow- .675" dia Hastings extended tube-
Winchester Supreme 3" 1 3/4 oz Hi Vel load, #4 shot. Great pattern at 40 yards.

In my Rem 870, .675" dia Hastings extended tube- same load, same great pattern.

Grouse said:
Hunt 4 Bucks said:

You bet, No#5 is my favorite so far. I might try some Hevi-Shot this spring.

Tom, I use Hevi-shot #6's and they are very effective.... I've picked us some 5's and will pattern them as well this spring....

It is absolutely insane to pay over 6 bucks per for a turkey load, but I have been ever since patterning the Nitro Ammunition hevi shot 4x5x7 from my 3" 12 ga Browning Gold. This gun was never a real tight shooter until now.

Finally broke down a tried them and pellet counts at 40 yds nearly doubled shot thru a Primos Jelly Head .670 tube.

I needed to get a turkey choke for my new Winchester SX-2 so I picked up a M.A.D. Calls Super Max Hevi-Shot? Turkey Choke Tube , (see http://cabelas.com/ for details)

I'll try the Federal Hevi-Shot 5's and 6's to see which to us opening day...

Got to pattern Nitro Ammunitions 4x5x7 hevi shot load yesterday.

Shot 3 targets with a CLEAN bore to check pellet counts. Results at 40 yds on a 9" paper pie plate were 189 pellets on 1st shot, then swab bore with clean rag and 2nd shot put 181 pellets on plate, swabbed and on 3rd and last shot put 201 pellets in plate.

WOW! Was worth nearly 7 bucks a shot, I killed all 3 plates with zero flopping and tracking!

I use 90 gn of T7/FFg, two 1/8" felt wads, BP shot cup, 2 oz of copper plated #5 shot and top off with 1/8 felt wad. Patterns 90% in 30" circle at 40 yards. :wink:

Back