Understanding the rules of shipping guns and ammo.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grouse said:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

When you read the rules there is alot of things you can do. Ecspecially in your own state. :)

Unless your state forbits it. You need to check that too. Every state is different.

No, only that state laws can be more restrictive.

That's like Illinois having background checks/yellow forms on muzzleloaders but the Federal Govt. doesn't require it.

loophole?

I'm not sure for 100%, but I believe I know how to ship guns pretty easy. From what I understand if you for example take the bolt out and ship it in a separate box, you are technically mailing gun parts and not a gun. Just food for thought.

Tom

If you mail the receiver of a gun, you are mailing a gun regardless if assembled or not.

Rifleman said:
If you mail the receiver of a gun, you are mailing a gun regardless if assembled or not.

I concur 100% with Rifleman on that one...

JC

If it has a serial number it is a gun. Whether it is a reminton 100 reciever, a savage bolt action, or a T/C encore reciever.

jcchartboy said:
Rifleman said:

I concur 100% with Rifleman on that one...

JC

So in the case of a bolt action rifle, is it a "gun" if the bolt itself is not in the box at all because then the receiver is not complete?

Tom

So in the case of a bolt action rifle, is it a "gun" if the bolt itself is not in the box at all because then the receiver is not complete?

Absolutely, just look at any legitimate seller on Gunbroker that sells actions. They will always require it goes to an FFL, (or a CCR if it is from a specific time period).
Otherwise, any person could simply buy a bolt from one place, an action from another, and completely circumnavigate the firearms laws.

JC

Latest posts

Back