Rules

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
So I get a text from my neighbor who owns most of the property around me
he says that if I shoot a deer in the A.M I should wait till noon to go find it if it goes on his land and if I shoot one in the P.M I need to wait till after dark to go look for it
Now I really don't know how to take this
I am not going to leave a possibly wounded deer to suffer till noon or after shooting hours
What say you?
This is the first year he has said this to me since he has owned the properties, I do understand that it is his property but the whole rule thing get's me.

So I get a text from my neighbor who owns most of the property around me
he says that if I shoot a deer in the A.M I should wait till noon to go find it if it goes on his land and if I shoot one in the P.M I need to wait till after dark to go look for it
Now I really don't know how to take this
I am not going to leave a possibly wounded deer to suffer till noon or after shooting hours
What say you?
This is the first year he has said this to me since he has owned the properties, I do understand that it is his property but the whole rule thing get's me.
Looks like a good time to apply Occam's Razor to this. If it smells like BS with a side of ulterior motive, it prob is exactly that. Time usually reveals the real story

Sounds like he doesn’t mind you coming over to recover a deer but he doesn’t want you screwing up his morning or evening hunts. Sounds reasonable to me….At least he’s willing to let you cross the fence.
That could certainly be the case as well. And you are right about the neighbor letting come on his land to recover a deer if necessary. The jerk that owned all of the property to the north & west of my fam's place, now has a house on the west side of the property doesn't like deer hunting or deer hunters & has told the folks when they got this place that if the old man shot a deer & it jumped his fence, that he better not come over the fence after it. Another reason that when I'm couch hunting & need to drop them in their tracks. I can't go get it.

Guys far as I know they can't stop you from getting it, if they say no call a game warden they should assist in recovery, it be about safest way. Or in my state anyway
Well, that varies by state. In some places even the wardens cannot enter private property without permission (or a warrant). And they certainly can’t compel a landowner to allow others to enter.

That could certainly be the case as well. And you are right about the neighbor letting come on his land to recover a deer if necessary. The jerk that owned all of the property to the north & west of my fam's place, now has a house on the west side of the property doesn't like deer hunting or deer hunters & has told the folks when they got this place that if the old man shot a deer & it jumped his fence, that he better not come over the fence after it. Another reason that when I'm couch hunting & need to drop them in their tracks. I can't go get it.
In Florida all you have to do is notify the FWC and they will come help you recover game that leaves your property, whether the neighbors like it or not!

That's a first I've ever heard that, not saying your wrong don't mean that, ever place I've been they have as much or more authority as state patrol, not trying to open a can of worms, anything is possible anymore, glad to know this.

It would be a shame to shoot a deer and lose it to the next property. That said, there is always another side to every story.

All of my neighbors hunt our property line, because they kill everything moving and know I am selective, that I have food plots, and that my acreage is triple theirs in size, so the closer they get to the line, the better chance they have of shooting something. To my East, my neighbor timbered all his property two years ago. He has four treestands lined up the length of his property all facing my property line, within 40 yards or closer. He is a bad shot and routinely has to come onto my property to find his poorly shot deer. To my South, two years ago, I caught a 20-something guy and his buddy 15 yards off the property line who took a doe out of season. This knucklehead offered me the deer not to call the warden. I got his ID, took some pics, and he answered to the warden. This year, that guy’s uncle shot an 8-pointer 25 yards off the property line. I was in my treestand and heard the shot. A little while later, I heard the deer crash down by our creek; when I got down there the shooter was standing on the property line scared to death. By the way, I dragged the deer off of my property, and back onto his, then asked him not to gut it there. Fortunately, he loaded it on his four-wheeler and disappeared into the twilight.

I’m very close to telling all of them that if the deer crosses the line, after they shoot it, it’s my venison. I have enough respect for them to hunt far enough in on my land so that mine don’t cross their line, and it’s been that way for 23 years. I’ve never been on their property to retrieve anything.

Please know that I realize this is not a feasible COA for everyone, and sometimes, it’s impossible to avoid a deer going onto another property. The principle for me is respect. Don’t pee on my back and tell me it’s raining.

This is even before the dog hunters start with their crap of running dogs across the property and sitting on the road to shoot drunkenly at the deer. So, please keep in mind that some landowners are not against deer hunters and hunting per se, they are just fed up with how they’ve experienced a lack of respect from even their neighbors. Everyone likes you when you let them do whatever the heck they want to do.

Last edited:
I have no idea what your relationship with he landowner is like, but maybe you could just stop by and ask him what precipitated his text. Face to face, non threatening, and ask. With a nice chat, you might find he says “don’t worry about it”. Otherwise you’re just guessing.

I would respect the land owners rules. I would as always, take careful high shoulder/head shots. These anchor the deer instantly so there is no chasing onto another property. Ask me how i know. I would hunt as normal and enjoy the great outdoors. Good luck and go hunting, it lowers blood pressure and restores sanity…shorty

Guys far as I know they can't stop you from getting it, if they say no call a game warden they should assist in recovery, it be about safest way. Or in my state anyway
First, they can stop you. You have no right to trespass without landowner permission, wounded/dead deer or not. And a game warden may help but if the owner says no, its no. In PA, if te landowner says no, even if its on his front lawn, he cannot move it. He must leave it there where it lays. I discussed this with a warden during a hunter ed class

I agree it sounds like the neighbor hunts and doesn't want anyone hunting on his property to have their hunt messed up by the OP looking for a wounded deer on the adjoining property. Not a big deal afterall his neighbor is allowing the OP to come on his land to look for a wounded deer and he has laid out the rules. I'd be fine with that.

Back