Rules

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both statements

If I were sitting out at prime time and the neighbor shoots a buck and immediately comes over my property to retrieve it they will get a set of rules set upon them.

Maybe your response could be to thank him for the guidelines and appreciate his thoughts on the matter. Maybe if you hear shooting let him know you heard it and you are or are not the one doing the shooting. My $.02.
Well said sir. A .02 that I'm glad you shared

this same neighbor has a road that runs the southern part of his property which borders my property and my field that I have a permanent stand build
He has no problem running a quad runner down it while I am hunting so his rules seem a bit one sided to me
look I agree his land his rules however I have owned my property through 3 owners of his property
the way I look at it I owe nothing to anyone at that point except to the deer I shot
it never happens anyway but just irritates the bejezzus out of me someone trying to tell me how to hunt, screw that

Have you asked him to not run his machine during hunting season??????

I have a neighbor who feeds his animals at prime time both in the morning and in the evening. His dog barks, ducks quack, rooster crows, slam gates, yell at the dog. I came to realize the deer expect this as a normal part of the day. When deer are around and this happens they pay no attention what so ever. I know this is not the same as your situation. Gotta think your neighbor would be cooperative. Not sure any good person wants to ruin anothers day. First he needs to know how much you enjoy this time of year. Second, just ask his to give you this courtesy during the hours you determine. Give it a try.

this same neighbor has a road that runs the southern part of his property which borders my property and my field that I have a permanent stand build
He has no problem running a quad runner down it while I am hunting so his rules seem a bit one sided to me
look I agree his land his rules however I have owned my property through 3 owners of his property
the way I look at it I owe nothing to anyone at that point except to the deer I shot
it never happens anyway but just irritates the bejezzus out of me someone trying to tell me how to hunt, screw that

I think I'd plant some fast growing trees/shrubs along the field edge that can act as a buffer between the two properties, something that'll top out at maybe 15 feet. Let it get dense. Deer that run after being hit will seek out someplace that's thick to hide themselves and if its on your side of the fence they will likely stop on your property. Such a buffer may also hold deer thru the day and create some fine shooting opportunities during the evening hours.

You think he should ask his neighbor not to run his 4-wheeler on his own property?
Not asking to never run his machine on his own property.
If you explain to your neighbor how important this time of year is and maybe let him know the days your hunting maybe he would work with you.

Not going to have a chance if you dont try.

I have some land. Since I started food plots the neighbors stands have moved closer and closer to the fence line. 2 years ago I found a set of footprints in fresh snow all over our land, through my food plots, and through the middle of my best hunting area. Whoever it was tied several pieces of plastic to trees that they left. They turned off trail cameras. The tracks went to the neighbors land. Of course he said it wasn't him. A couple months later I found a 2.5 year old 8 pt dead in a brushy area. Dollars to doughnuts he made a poor shot and spent an afternoon trying to find the thing. Last year I have pictures of him on walking through the middle of my food plot opening morning of muzzleloader season. I'm a pretty reasonable guy. You shoot a deer, whether it's on my land or yours, I'll help you find it if you let me know, but come on...

So yeah, I guess I have no issues with him asking you to wait. I agree most strongly with the above sentiment that if you shoot a deer that crosses, send a text. Bet you get a different response unless he's out actively hunting.

One other thing to consider - it's not uncommon for a bowhunter to leave a deer for 4-6 hours or more to let a deer expire calmly rather than pushing them nonstop. I guess to me waiting a couple hours until prime shooting time is over doesn't seem like it's worth getting too upset about. If he would have said you're not allowed to cross the fence at any time for any reason that would be a bit more upsetting.

he is telling me not to track a deer I shot that is telling me how to hunt
I don't care about anything at that point but getting the animal I shot that is what hunting is
Well I guess we can disagree without any hard feelings . You can track on your property all you want but can also track on his at times he allows . Seems like he has the wright to make the rules that are best for him and like it or knot it would be wise to do as he ask. If you piss him off you may not be allowed on the place at all. I know it happens sometimes that wounded deer can travel a long way. but seems like you must wait until he says you can look on his land. And try to care about his wishes . Your deer should not ruin in a few hours.

Unfortunately, tracking a wounded animal on someone else’s property without permission is not hunting, it’s trespassing. I don’t want to see you get in trouble with the law for you, or your family.

That said, for a while, when we had more frequent run ins with hound hunters, we used to hear things like “my family has been hunting out here since the Civil War…we have more right to be out here than you do.” One guy even told my father he would hunt from our front porch if he wanted to. Ironically, these folks normally didn’t live out there, they just thought they owned everything there, even though they owned none of the land, nor did they pay taxes on it. Well, we just politely reminded them that times have changed, and the property is now ours. Fortunately, their numbers have dwindled, they are tired of dealing with us, and they are scared of me hauling them into court (I’ve taken two of them, both resulting in multiple convictions) but they are still able to scrounge enough money together to lease a 300 acre parcel or so out here.

Yup. But I'll stand by that he knows darn well what sitting for 4+ hours at 65+ degrees ambient temp will do ....
1- don’t hunt the lines and try to drop them DRT
2- if the animal does cross over the line, call and ask if you can retrieve…..
3- if they say no, say thank you very much - enjoy the smell….
4- cross them off your Christmas card list

So here‘s one you guys will like. My poor-shooting neighbor just sent me an email telling me that when he went hunting today, and before he got in his stand, he walked up to a deer trail coming off the back of our property, staying just on his side of the line, and left a drag trail from it to his treestand. Ok, completely legal, and although I don’t agree with the ethics of it, whatever, I’ll live with it. Approximately eight minutes later, a doe came by, being trailed by a young 4-pointer. He shot at the buck from 15 yards, which did not drop the deer. The deer crossed back over to our side, then back to his, as he shot twice more. Now, bear in mind this is a 12 gauge slug gun. He had to track the deer which fortunately expired on his property. And, how much did the deer weigh? 88 pounds.

I’m sorry gents, I just had to vent.

this neighbor and I have a history
respect is hardly a word I would use in a conversation about him and there are a bunch of people that feel the same way
I have seen what coyotes can do to a deer and tracking at night is a task left for blood hounds
anyone else I would respect their wishes hope that clears things up a bit

respect is hardly a word I would use in a conversation about him and there are a bunch of people that feel the same way
I have seen what coyotes can do to a deer and tracking at night is a task left for blood hounds
Well if that's the case. You should practice your high shoulder and base of neck shots to anchor your deer on your own property.

So really it’s not anything to do with hunting and actually just a personal grudge. I get it. I don’t like all my neighbors. But let’s call it what it is. Nothing to do with him asking you to wait until off prime shooting hours and everything to do with a guy you don’t like having an element of control over your hunt.

no it has to do with a guy I personally don't care for telling how to hunt
I shoot deer and I find deer, done.

Dude’s not telling you how to hunt. He didn’t say you could only recover deer on HIS land if you shot them with a shotgun or if you were wearing blaze pink instead of blaze orange. Dude’s giving you times that you have permission to cross onto HIS land and potentially blow up HIS hunting areas.

I clearly don’t have the emotional involvement tied to whatever past events have occurred so I don’t have anything else to say, but from an outsiders view you’re presenting just as irrational if not more so as the other guy.

Latest posts

Back