vent liners for 209 breechplugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but do vent liners for the 209 breech plugs just screw in to the breech face? I bought a plug from Ron and got it yesterday but I don't see anything inside the hollow of the plug except a hexagonal hole.

This pic is from one of Ron's posts. Zoom in to get a better look. Does your vent liner look like that one? If so, you have one of Ron's self made ones that are very durable. I made some myself using the screws he suggested. The other vent liners shown in the pic above will also work. You can always PM Ron and ask him directly. Screenshot_20230325_213425_Chrome.jpg

This pic shows the installation of the Vent Liner in the nose of the breech plug

CompletedPlugs.jpg

The rounded face of the Vent liners helps reduce the anount of blow back moving back up the flash hole when the rifle is shot.

This pic shows the installation of the Vent Liner in the nose of the breech plug

CompletedPlugs.jpg

The rounded face of the Vent liners helps reduce the anount of blow back moving back up the flash hole when the rifle is shot.
Is that blue streak a sealant or a grease?

This pic is from one of Ron's posts. Zoom in to get a better look. Does your vent liner look like that one? If so, you have one of Ron's self made ones that are very durable. I made some myself using the screws he suggested. The other vent liners shown in the pic above will also work. You can always PM Ron and ask him directly. View attachment 32750
Yep, that's it. Ron replied and told me the vent liner takes a 1/8 Allen wrench so that explains the hexagonal hole. I understand now. Thanks.

I tried it out today. I am getting nearly 200 fps better velocities with the same charge of BH 209. 84 grains by weight is pushing my 335 gr ELD slugs at around 1900 fps and no more hang fires. The recoil is not comfortable though. I think I will back off to 70 or 75 gr by weight.

OP:

Most breech plugs use 'Savage type' ventliners.

10-32 thread
82 degree head
.030 flash hole.

Some folks have created proprietary thread patterns and head profiles for their custom breech plugs. I personally feel like it's to lock people Into buying from them. Some folks change specs and make claims of improvement and performance increase. Beyond using better materials, heat treat, nitriding, etc... I'm skeptical. If all they did is change the thread pitch or seat angle, I'm pretty certain they are just trying to make money by locking buyers in. All my products use generic Savage Type vent liners.

Also, I do feel like I sell the best product (generic standard 'savage type' stainless heat-treated nitrited vent liners) at the best prices (made by Lehigh).

Beware most black flat head savage type vent liners are not heat treated, made out of lower carbon steel, and won't last as long. They should be replaced when the flash hole enlarges to .036 (of course you will find opinions on flash hole performance will vary).

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p11/LehighVentLiner.html
pin-guage-passing-through-vent-liner_3.jpg

Yours

Tom

Last edited:

BadgerRidge, you will not find these at Leigh any longer. Lehigh sold out to Wilson Combat ad they now have the Lehigh Bullets web site. For the vent liner you are talking about you will need to go to SSK Firearms.com and look under Muzzleloaders and components to get to this page.

https://www.sskfirearms.com/vent-liner.html
1680114505666.png

BadgerRidge, you will not find these at Leigh any longer. Lehigh sold out to Wilson Combat ad they now have the Lehigh

I'm sure you are trying to help in your own manner...

Maybe I was told who SSK got them from. I do know who I ordered from and wrote checks to.

I too heard there was a change in ownership. The ventliners I sell came from Lehigh. Perhaps you know who got the Swiss screw machine in the restructuring? But well before the breakup of Lehigh & SSK, Lehigh took all their muzzleloader components off their site and moved them to SSK for retail. Maybe it had something to do with it being better structured for Co-owner's/partners and new owners?

I hope we do not delve into an argument over branding. The point of this thread is helping a new guy understand ventliners.

Yours

Tom

You will probably have to check yourself. But the name Lehigh Defense and all of the projectiles that Lehigh Defense, use to make were sold to Wilson Combat. Wilson has established a web site with the bullets for sale.

See this page

Lehigh Defense

If you check out this page you will see that only bullets are offered and the bullets are built by Wilson in there own plants. The "ML Accessories" previously built by Lehigh are offered on SSK, including the Vent Liners.

Dave on the other hand purchase JD Powers website SSK Firearms. On the SSK websites he offers his other Muzzleloading parts and accessories including the former Lehigh Vent liner as well as other formally known Lehigh parts that are now sold under the name SSK.

Your vent liners, which I am sure are Lehigh Vent Liners, and the current liners on the SSK site are manufactured at the same plant they have always been made. Lehigh Bullets are now made by Wilson Combat. Although, Dave may begin producing a line of muzzleloading bullets, hopefully the brass ones. He does have one ML bullet listed on the SSK site at this time. You can check that out at:

https://www.sskfirearms.com/bullets.html

Last edited:
Back