Walmart CVA muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CVA states on their website that ALL of their barrels are made by Bergara..

Every barrel that we use today is also made in Bergara at the BERGARA BARRELS factory, which, like CVA, is wholly owned by our parent company.

Exactly. You can tell some people, but you can't tell 'em much!

Savage makes Stevens firearms, but, the Stevens does not have all the bells and whistles, so it does not get the Savage name on the firearm. Just like Redfield Scopes are made in the same factory with Leupold scopes, and owned by Leupold, but, they use imported glass, and do not get the Leupold name. The Dikar barrels do not have all the process on them that the barrels with the Bergarra stamp, so they do not get it. They get marked Dikar.

Savage makes Stevens firearms, but, the Stevens does not have all the bells and whistles, so it does not get the Savage name on the firearm. Just like Redfield Scopes are made in the same factory with Leupold scopes, and owned by Leupold, but, they use imported glass, and do not get the Leupold name. The Dikar barrels do not have all the process on them that the barrels with the Bergarra stamp, so they do not get it. They get marked Dikar.

Just because some of the barrels dont get those other couple of steps and are marked Dikar how does that negate what CVA states on their website, all their barrels are made by Bergara.

I bought a Traditions Buckstalker on clearance at Wal-Mart in 2017. It looks like any other Buckstalker I have seen.

I wonder what the source is for the stock metal bars used for the blued barrels. Same supplier as the other CVA barrels?

I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers with this.

My point was the stainless barrel blanks used at the Dikar plant for the nitride and stainless barrels (including the barrels blanks that get the extra finishing and Bergara label) come from a specific supplier, and the consistency/quality of the metal is already established by the forging and extruding done by the supplier. The quality of a Bergara barrel starts before they ever touch the barrel blank; they chose a top tier supplier of stainless blanks so that when they're done with their craftsmanship the final product is about as good as it gets.

The blued barrels, also milled, drilled, rifled, and finished at the same Dikar plant, might start their existence as metal blanks initially forged and extruded by a different foundry than the one that supplies the stainless blanks. To meet a lower price point (Wolf's with blue barrels can be had on muzzleloaders dot com new for under $180), the basic steel barrel blanks are possibly a step down in consistency from the stainless blanks.

I did see some blued Optima Rifles at Dunhams that had the breeching lever in Front of the trigger guard like my stainless 2011 Optima Pistol.and the current Wolf rifles. They might be old stock, or a special order like the ones some of you seen at Wal-Mart?

I saw these at Dunham’s as well. Optima V1’s. Other than the breeching lever position, does anyone know if they are substantially different than the V2?

If you wanna spend full price for your rifles, then by all means have it. I work too hard for the discretionary money I have and have no compunction over buying a less than half price muzzleloader from Wally World..
They are not the only place to get a discount price on guns. Im just saying that I won't buy from them. Not saying you shouldn't. I don't have "discretionary" money either. What i do have goes anywhere but malwart.

I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers with this.

My point was the stainless barrel blanks used at the Dikar plant for the nitride and stainless barrels (including the barrels blanks that get the extra finishing and Bergara label) come from a specific supplier, and the consistency/quality of the metal is already established by the forging and extruding done by the supplier. The quality of a Bergara barrel starts before they ever touch the barrel blank; they chose a top tier supplier of stainless blanks so that when they're done with their craftsmanship the final product is about as good as it gets.

The blued barrels, also milled, drilled, rifled, and finished at the same Dikar plant, might start their existence as metal blanks initially forged and extruded by a different foundry than the one that supplies the stainless blanks. To meet a lower price point (Wolf's with blue barrels can be had on muzzleloaders dot com new for under $180), the basic steel barrel blanks are possibly a step down in consistency from the stainless blanks.

As I said earlier, I do not know, but it would be interesting to find out.

They are not the only place to get a discount price on guns. Im just saying that I won't buy from them. Not saying you shouldn't. I don't have "discretionary" money either. What i do have goes anywhere but malwart.

I'll buy where I get the best deal. It's your prerogative to spend yours where you wish. Walmart or not!!;):D

I saw these at Dunham’s as well. Optima V1’s. Other than the breeching lever position, does anyone know if they are substantially different than the V2?

I just noticed them in the case behind the counter. They are the first Optima with QRBP, pre-V2, which we now call V1 but not officially designated as such. These ones looked blued, as I didn't see the "NITRIDE" tag or sticker on any of them.

I personally won't ever buy another muzzleloader that doesn't have the NITRIDE Treatment. Definitely not a blued one.

As far as I know, They are the same as a V2 , other than the breeching lever and being blued.

I have a pre-V2 stainless steel Optima Pistol, and the only difference is the breeching lever.

As far as i know the breach release was the only difference in the "V1" and V2. Older Optimas such as the Optima Pro did not have the QRBP.

Looks like the scope bases were different at one time too

I'm not worried about CVA's blued steel barrels. They are made by Bergara, and Bergara users them in their rifles and the CVA center fire barrels for the CVA Hunters and the New CVA Cascade Bolt Acton center fires. So you know they aren't sourcing junk.

If you watch that Bergara Barrels Tour video I posted previously, They show some blued barrels going through the bluing tanks, and being put in racks. Pretty sure Olarra makes that steel as well?

Read this. It talks about it in here.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/12/ma...ession-made-with-spanish-steel/#axzz5fAmYeKwY

And here.

https://www.bergara.online/us/barrels

Last edited:
Bergara's Premier line uses 416 barrels and they are labeled Premium Bergara barrels. The B-14 line is 4140 and not labeled the same way. I would wager the blued CVAs are at the least chromoly but i have no idea if its 4140 or not.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/premier/
Bergara’s Premium 416 stainless steel barrels receive a proprietary honing process at our barrel-making facility in Bergara, Spain

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/
(#4) Bergara 4140 CrMo steel barrel is finished in matte blue
and no mention of the "honing" process which could be simple marketing to separate it from the way more expensive Premier.

4140 on average is actually as strong or stronger than some 416 from what ive read.

Thanks! What about the Accura? DO all of them have the QRBP?

Back