Walmart CVA muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, the pre 2010 Accura uses the old style plug too.

By the old style, you mean the one that takes a wrench, similar to the bolt guns? In 2010, I was shooting bolt guns, and wanted nothing to do with a break open action. Then, I went to the Vortek, when it came out.

Yep old style plug that needed a socket to remove but not exactly the same as the bolt guns.

I just purchased my first inline muzzleloader a CVA optima v2 camo with a scope. Ive been doing a bunch of researching and ive owned another CVA in the past and been happy with it so I decided that the optima met my needs and price range. Imagine my delight when I happened upon one at walmart on clearance for $249, I thought it was almost too good to be true. I knew that was a great price so I told them to box it up. I got home with my new gun and started playing with it, ive never seen the nitride finish before but the finish on this one seemed like the finish on my old cva. I ran a patch down the barrel and rust came out along with a bunch of greese. I took a magnet to the barrel and it stuck just like regular steel, checked a ss AR barrel and my 500 S&W the magnet stuck but with not much force. I searched the model number on the box and didnt find anything. I now know something isnt right, this is a regular steel gun without a nitride finish. According to CVA's web site all CVA optima v2's have SS barrels. Went back to Walmart to return it but they will not allow firearm returns so Im stuck with it.

I called CVA customer service, and told them my findings. They asked for pictures of the gun and of the serial number. After sending that information a few minutes later I got a call back from the same guy explaing that I did indeed have a blued regular steel model. He told me that Walmart Optimas arent necessarily made to the same specs as Optimas from other sources. So I'm thinking I stuck with it again.

From there on CVA was a delight to work with They sent me out a prepaid shipping label for me to send the walmart gun back and a tracking number for a new camo nitride treated optima. So everything worked out in the end. I've not had to deal with many customer service departments in the past, but have heard horror stories from other people, definitely have to give a thanks to CVA for really standing up and making this right, Ill definitely be looking for another CVA when the time comes to get another one. I will be getting my next one from a more reliable source though.
CVA's customer service is awesome!

I just purchased my first inline muzzleloader a CVA optima v2 camo with a scope. Ive been doing a bunch of researching and ive owned another CVA in the past and been happy with it so I decided that the optima met my needs and price range. Imagine my delight when I happened upon one at walmart on clearance for $249, I thought it was almost too good to be true. I knew that was a great price so I told them to box it up. I got home with my new gun and started playing with it, ive never seen the nitride finish before but the finish on this one seemed like the finish on my old cva. I ran a patch down the barrel and rust came out along with a bunch of greese. I took a magnet to the barrel and it stuck just like regular steel, checked a ss AR barrel and my 500 S&W the magnet stuck but with not much force. I searched the model number on the box and didnt find anything. I now know something isnt right, this is a regular steel gun without a nitride finish. According to CVA's web site all CVA optima v2's have SS barrels. Went back to Walmart to return it but they will not allow firearm returns so Im stuck with it.

I called CVA customer service, and told them my findings. They asked for pictures of the gun and of the serial number. After sending that information a few minutes later I got a call back from the same guy explaing that I did indeed have a blued regular steel model. He told me that Walmart Optimas arent necessarily made to the same specs as Optimas from other sources. So I'm thinking I stuck with it again.

From there on CVA was a delight to work with They sent me out a prepaid shipping label for me to send the walmart gun back and a tracking number for a new camo nitride treated optima. So everything worked out in the end. I've not had to deal with many customer service departments in the past, but have heard horror stories from other people, definitely have to give a thanks to CVA for really standing up and making this right, Ill definitely be looking for another CVA when the time comes to get another one. I will be getting my next one from a more reliable source though.
You don’t mention if the box or barrel was labeled nitride or not so I suspect it didn’t. I was at a cabelas a few years back looking at the same rifle when cva first started offering nitriding and their was nothing on the box or gun stating nitride and asked a sales person and he couldn’t tell me so I didn’t buy the gun. You were very lucky cva replaced it with a nitride version.

Damn Walmart!!
That sucks because I bought these 2 last month I never was a Cva fan at all.
what I thought what the hell I’ll get them to play around with and know I’m finding out that they are not of good Quality like other models.
Looks like I might be selling these.

Attachments

• E707F6AE-E680-44FC-8E86-DA7C02C48A3A.jpeg
    E707F6AE-E680-44FC-8E86-DA7C02C48A3A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Another Add on to GM's post. I was told at a BR match back at the time Gm stated, that Ed Shilen went over there when those machines were sold to them and taught them how he made Shilen Barrels when they set up the machines.
True.
There is a you tube video on this.

Damn Walmart!!
That sucks because I bought these 2 last month I never was a Cva fan at all.
what I thought what the hell I’ll get them to play around with and know I’m finding out that they are not of good Quality like other models.
Looks like I might be selling these.
Does that longer barreled one have a thumbhole stock? Do you still have the box where it would show the model number? That other one is obviously not nitride treated but I suspect that longer one is. I doubt you got hurt on them. Have you shot either of them?

Does that longer barreled one have a thumbhole stock? Do you still have the box where it would show the model number? That other one is obviously not nitride treated but I suspect that longer one is. I doubt you got hurt on them. Have you shot either of them?
Yes 28” thumbhole
Yes I still have box and no where on box does it say nitride all it had was a tag on barrel that said it was.
Yes I have shot them both.

@280Bravo Im pretty sure the walmart guns have different model numbers from all the other CVAs due to them being produced specifically for wm. I believe the barrels are the same as any other Optimas, just some cosmetic differences like fit/finish and options. They should shoot as well as any other just might not be as pretty.

@280Bravo Im pretty sure the walmart guns have different model numbers from all the other CVAs due to them being produced specifically for wm. I believe the barrels are the same as any other Optimas, just some cosmetic differences like fit/finish and options. They should shoot as well as any other just might not be as pretty.
I agree with other about the model # being different I guess it’s Cva way to track ml that they sale to WM.
I also could not find model numbers on Cva web site.
And I don’t remember seeing a N on the ss # but I’ll look again.
I also replaced the glass on both rifles the scopes that came with was no good.
And these 2 Cva are my first time dealing with a rifle from Cva so far it going good but I don’t like the weight to light.

Does anybody know how to read the model #?
Does the N mean nitride and the S means stainless?

Attachments

• DC8E0299-F5A3-4CC0-BB2C-88DD54F50067.jpeg
    DC8E0299-F5A3-4CC0-BB2C-88DD54F50067.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 6E93E339-A993-4CA1-B379-34DB20E7942F.jpeg
    6E93E339-A993-4CA1-B379-34DB20E7942F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
The first pic says Cerakote barrel. That’s not nitride.
That’s what I’m trying to find out if it does.
It says it on the box and had a tag on the barrel.
This is why I’m confused.

Attachments

• 13AE250F-CED7-434E-B896-2A2BF5B6EC84.jpeg
    13AE250F-CED7-434E-B896-2A2BF5B6EC84.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
CVA's own website says Walmart Optimas have blued barrels.

Here's your longer barreled model - exactly and yes it is nitrided. OPTIMA LR TH CERA/TIMBER SCOPE

The other one isn't shown on the CVA website but it is obviously not nitrided or cerakoted. Stop being confused, they will both likely be very good rifles.
Nitride treatment is a nice touch but it's hard to beat good stainless steel without any special treatment. In fact, I prefer it.

Back