Welfare Sniper Rig

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
It seems Jimmy has named my new rig.. :wink:

This gun is really not something I would usually look at buying, but if it shoots like they say it does I can see myself shooting alot of paper with this rig. As of now, I am pretty excited. The HS Precision stock is better than I imagined.

Vennison, Nug and myself are planning on going to a tactical shooting school this spring. I hope to learn more about the .308 and I especially want to learn more about Mil-Dot ranging and the overall use of the reticle. A better understanding of how to use the mil-dot in practical hunting applications should pay dividends for longer range MZ shots. Only time and practice will tell!

I hope to have a range report soon. This is my biggest CF gun and I hope it shoots well. Looking at the load data, I was surprised to see it holds it's own with the 30-06 up to about a 165gr bullet.

I have Redding Benchrest dies, lapua brass, cci BR-2 primers, SMK's in 168/175 and a selection of powders. R-man has suggested getting 3031 so I might have to do that. I also have a couple of boxes of Federal, Remington & Black Hills Match ammo that I intend to duplicate.

Remington 700 P / Super Sniper 16x
700p.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

That's a nice looking rig JJ!

selection of powders

What powders do you have? If you have a 4064, Varget, RL15, a 4895, or similar you should be fine. No doubt I'd start with RL15 or 4064..

varget
benchmark
BLC(2)

I have others but I think these are the only ones that will work in the .308. I think 322 is only for 150gr or less bullets.

varget
benchmark

I think you'll be in good shape!

I'll get me one of those sniper jobs after you, Jimmy, and Nug learn everything. Then ya'll can teach me for free! 8) :lol:

IMR3031 with the Sierra 168gr BTHP has one more matches then you can shake a stick at.

Nice lookin rifle JJ,

Get yourself a mil-dot master :wink:

Doohan said:
It seems Jimmy has named my new rig..

You know I was only teasing. :lol: That's a nice looking rig. Just out of curiosity why did you go with a two piece base?

I think the little guy has the same gun as you!

hunter.gif

R-man ... Mil-Dot master is on the way from swfa. !! :lol:

Jimmy,

I know you were just kidding... but that nickname really is right on.. This project is bound put me in the poor house ( or the dog house ) 8)

I got the 2 pc base because the one pc looked like a pain in the rear to load the gun. I figured it would be in the way. If I ever convert this thing to a clip feed, I may goto a single pc base. The other reason was because my scope has 120+ MOA of adjustment and that ought to be enough to hit a gnats ass on the moon!! :) :mrgreen:

be enough to hit a gnats ass on the moon!!

The hard part is getting to the moon, the easy part is hitting the gnat. Just put a gnat down the barrel, that way you hit him everywhere.

Rifleman said:
IMR3031 with the Sierra 168gr BTHP has one more matches then you can shake a stick at.

I don't doubt it. I guess I am just trying to protect JJ from the trap I fell into years ago..buying THE powder for EVERY cartridge/shooting situation when what you have all ready on the shelf may very well do as well or better. Of course we all know this is impossible. I currently have thirty DIFFERENT smokeless powders on my shelf which imo is one of the stupidest things I have ever done. And I still bet Varget(really Hodgdons 4064) or 4895 will shoot great in that .308. 8)

No doubt Chuck, I loaded over 200,000 rds before I quit. Sick and tired of pulling the handle instead of fishing or shooting. I learned alot and that is the one thing I don't regret. Other then that I wish I had just bought mil surplus ammo and stuck with military calibers for the bulk of my shooting and just bought factory when it was on sale for hunting.
I did use alot of surplus powders too. Some were good, a few really good, but some were really bad.
The AA surplus powders are among the best.
H108 was a good sub for H110 but you had to reduce by 13 percent ( verify that before loading guys, I am going from memory here)
HP38 is a real interesting one. My research lead me to believe it was exactly the same powder as Win231. This was agreed upon by several commercial reloaders I knew. It is a fantastic powder and the only one I would use in 45acp,9mm, and 38spl as well as having application in other medium pistol calibers.
I never did find a really good surplus powder for 30-06 that I was happy with.
BTW that reminds me, I have 2 big buckets of 45acp brass in the closet. It was tumbled and shined by me several years ago and stored in ziplock bags. Alot of it is USGI once fired brass, some commercial, some may have been reloaded once. I doubt there are any that have been reloaded more then that, because as a general rule I never loaded my mil spec stuff more then that. I just let it lay because I could always get more cheap. First reasonable offer takes it. And NO I ain't payin the shipping JJ :D

Thanks for the advice Chuck! I suckered myself into buying 2 lbs of powder when I picked the gun up. I hope they work well for me. I am a bit lucky as most of the powders I have will work well in most all of my guns.. from MZ's to the varmint calibers to this new .308. I do admit tho, I do have too many powders myself! It took me about 4 powders before I fell in love with 322 for the .204.

R-man.

That brass would work great if I ever got a Thompson! :wink:

JJ, nice looking rig.
I read a lot of good things about Varget and RE15 for 308.
By the way if you use RE15 around 44GR with 175SMK and get it fly around 2650 ft/sec you will duplicate Federal sniper load.

I hit the range today with the new .308. JD accompanied with his new .223 Contender. :lol:

I started out the day getting on paper with my hand loads. 25, 50 then 100. I went through quite a few rounds and the barrel was fairly warm. I shot several groups at 100 and was right at MOA. The barrel was pretty warm so we swapped out the targets and I gave to bore a few passes with some solvent followed by a few dry patches.

My first group with Black Hills 168 SMK's - 3 shots without cooling
168blackhills.jpg

I followed that group up with some handloads I brought along... No barrel cooling shots 4-6 ( 43.5gr Varget, 168 SMK )

handload43.jpg

Later on a clean, cool barrel... 175 Federal Match

Federal175SMK.jpg

All in all, this gun is much better than I am. Better form will certainly yield better groups!! What a pleasure to shoot. The .308 is a very mild round, I am a fan!

Nice!!! :applause: VERY nice :!: I'm sure things will continue to improve with more barrel break in and fire lapping. Don't forget to keep a shot record. Congratulations.

My first group with Black Hills 168 SMK's

Shoot that load again JJ when you are fresh, work on your position a little more before you start, check your natural point of aim-get it right before you fire. That load looks to me like it will do a one-holer. The shot that is out is 99 percent most likely due to the shooter- not the load/gun. Not critizing, just critiquing- I think you have a some real possibilities here. When you step out to 300 yds, if you can get that load to shoot one holers at 100, you will get 1 inchers at the 300.

Back