What are you fishing for?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
Aside from winter ice fishing, what species are you fisherman going after this year as we enter the warm weather season :?:

Doesn't matter if your're a fresh water guy or salt water. (Do you use a boat, tackle choice, artificials or live bait?).   As a boater I'm after lake trout/salmon with trolling lures and live minnows. Also smallmouth bass with hard and soft artificials.  I use bottom bouncers weights for both species.

Our fly fishing club is heading to Salida to fish the Arkansas on 4/20 and then off to the Green river below Flaming Gorge for 4 days of fishing - all for trout on a fly rod
Mike

ElkFever said:
Our fly fishing club is heading to Salida to fish the Arkansas on 4/20 and then off to the Green river below Flaming Gorge for 4 days of fishing - all for trout on a fly rod
Mike
I'm sure you can't :bounce: wait for that trip!  Fly fishing for trout remains my all-time favorite fishing sport.  Wish I now had the trout water resouces close-by like I once had in PA. Tied all my flies myself including streamers, nymphs, wets and drys.  Fly fishing is a very addicting sport.  Frustrating :x too when the trout are rising to anything but what's in your fly box.  Even more frustrating when size matters. :roll:

Good luck matching the hatch and let us know how you do when you return. :)

Rainbows, crappie, walleye and channel cats. Ice still on the lakes but quickly melting. SOON BABY SOON.

my friend brought his boat over thrusday and we stripped it out ( old john boat ) got the foam all dried, new wood going down this thursday, replacing all the ropes and straps, got the 25 hp eveinrude running nicely. I think the carb needs rebuilt, but we'll chance it and give it a try out on the lake :shock:

We like to use kastmaster lures for trout and walleye. I've also caught bass on the  same lure, so they are not to picky. Cat fish to!

I fish from the bank. Live on a Trout Stream so yes Rainbow Trout. I like fishing for Redhorse Suckers, Catfish and Crappie.

ElkFever use to live in Salida, use to be able to Bait Fish by where I lived but hear it has changed.

oneshot

Firestick said:
Rainbows, crappie, walleye and channel cats. Ice still on the lakes but quickly melting. SOON BABY SOON.
What do you use to catch those tasty walleye  :?:

FrontierGander said:
my friend brought his boat over thrusday and we stripped it out ( old john boat ) got the foam all dried, new wood going down this thursday, replacing all the ropes and straps, got the 25 hp eveinrude running nicely. I think the carb needs rebuilt, but we'll chance it and give it a try out on the lake :shock:

We like to use kastmaster lures for trout and walleye. I've also caught bass on the  same lure, so they are not to picky. Cat fish to!
Sounds like the boat is going through a needed overhaul...just like I had to do a few years ago.  If your 25 hp is a two stroke and has some age to it, you might want to also check gaskets.  With serious starting and running problems, my 1993 two-stroke 15 h.p.Evenrude went through a rebuild last year.  A major gasket between the cylinders was deteriorated and leaking cooling water into the cylinders.  I also had the electrical power pack replaced.  It cost me about $400 parts/labor to have a professional do it, but it literally runs like new now.

Always fly fishing for trout. The Arkansas River runs through my town, so I fish it a lot. I also like all the local creeks. They keep me in the same places I hunt and that's a good thing.

Marty said:
FrontierGander said:

Sounds like the boat is going through a needed overhaul...just like I had to do a few years ago.  If your 25 hp is a two stroke and has some age to it, you might want to also check gaskets.  With serious starting and running problems, my 1993 two-stroke 15 h.p.Evenrude went through a rebuild last year.  A major gasket between the cylinders was deteriorated and leaking cooling water into the cylinders.  I also had the electrical power pack replaced.  It cost me about $400 parts/labor to have a professional do it, but it literally runs like new now.
Yep, it is the 2 stroke made in 1982! No water in the cylinders, runs great, just has that lag when you give it trottle, like its choked off and not opening up all of the way. A carb kit is only $16 so I am going to have my friend buy that later on so we can take it apart and rebuild it. Probably could use some new jets for higher elevation as well. Hell, now that I mentioned that, that's probably the choked off problem with it no revving up quickly, needs more air/fuel for the 7300 ft elevation.

Marty said:
Firestick said:
What do you use to catch those tasty walleye  :?:
Leadhead chartreuse jigs with maribou tails and Rapala jigging lures when fishing from shore. I have even caught walleye and saugeye with yellow woolybuggers on the Yellowstone with a flyrod and sinking line.

Living in central Florida there is only one ……..Bass.

The St John`s river is just a stone`s throw from my house.   Fish during the week as the weekends 
      it`s loaded with every type of boat know to man kind.   

Going to Lake Okeechobee the first week in May.   Have fished it many times for fun and club 
         Tourney`s.   Now, there`s a Bass lake.  

Fish most of the lake systems around central Fl.   Mostly use 'plastics.'  Spinner baits in pad fields.
     Everybody has certain baits they like and which produce.  Course, lots of folks use shiners .

Bass fishing is year round and if your lucky and retired,  and have a bass boat, life is really good.

My friends have asked to fish for Grouper on our next salt trip. I have not gone for this fish, yet.

I tend to be a bobber watcher on a bank or a pier if left alone to my own devices.

Dry Powder said:

The St John`s river is just a stone`s throw from my house.   Fish during the week as the weekends 

Going to Lake Okeechobee the first week in May.   Have fished it many times for fun and club 

Fish most of the lake systems around central Fl.   Mostly use 'plastics.'  Spinner baits in pad fields.
     Everybody has certain baits they like and which produce.  Course, lots of folks use shiners .

Bass fishing is year round and if your lucky and retired,  and have a bass boat, life is really good.
You got some serious bucket-mouth, hog fishin' down there.  I have yet to break my personal best 7 lb. Largemouth.

Kentucky Colonel said:
My friends have asked to fish for Grouper on our next salt trip. I have not gone for this fish, yet.

I tend to be a bobber watcher on a bank or a pier if left alone to my own devices.
From the looks of your Avatar, I see you only need one eye to watch that bobber :lol:

My summer home has Redfish, Black Drum, Trout and Flounder in abundance. We have a State season and a Federal season for Red Snapper. There are many other species but these are the primary focus species. I was surprised to learn the fresh water options are extremely good around here too. Lakes have White Bass and Striped Bass. The creek next to my house has Talapia and the pond down the street has Largemouth Bass. I would rather fish than anything and I prefer fishing from the boat.

Sparkitoff said:
My summer home has Redfish, Black Drum, Trout and Flounder in abundance. We have a State season and a Federal season for Red Snapper. There are many other species but these are the primary focus species. I was surprised to learn the fresh water options are extremely good around here too. Lakes have White Bass and Striped Bass. The creek next to my house has Talapia and the pond down the street has Largemouth Bass. I would rather fish than anything and I prefer fishing from the boat.
Access to Striped Bass and Flounder...nice!

dbowling said:
Crappie, Catfish and big redear/bluegill.
Pan-fish are a LOT of fun to battle if you use ultra-light gear.  I'll load-up my 5 foot rod with 2 lb. Test and my 5 1/2  footer with 4 lb. Test.

Marty said:
Dry Powder said:

You got some serious bucket-mouth, hog fishin' down there.  I have yet to break my personal best 7 lb. Largemouth.
A 7 lb Bass where you live is considered a big Bass.  Hope you do the catch and release thing.

Back