Outstanding Carp Recipe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although carp aren't pleasing to the eye, they're fun to catch and decent table fair to boot!
This is a recipe handed down from my European great grandmother.
Ingredients:
4-6 pounds Carp Fillets, Boneless
Fresh ice cold water
Apple Juice
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt
Soy
Ginger
Garlic
Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio white wine
Olive Oil
Lemon Powder
Finely chopped Dill
Suitably sized cedar plank
Cat iron Skillet
Directions:
Fillet carp in same manner as you would a Walleye, ensuring to cut out mudlines and any other dark spots
Remove the skin and place fillets in ice-cold water with the following ratios for each pound of fillets:
4 oz clean bottled water
4 oz apple juice
2 teaspoon salt
For 6 pounds of fillets, it's 24 oz water, 24 oz apple juice, and 12 tsp of salt.
Let fish marinade in water for 36-48 hours as your time permits.
After soaking, remove fish and rinse.
Set uncovered fish aside in refrigerator for an hour while you prepare for cooking.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil onto plank for each pound of carp and spread so a thick film of oil covers plank.
Sprinkle lemon powder and black pepper all over the plank (about 2 teaspoons each per pound Carp). Adjust amount as needed for taste.
Place plank in oven at 180 degrees for quick seasoning and oil penetration.
Remove carp from refrigerator and pat both sides dry with paper towels.
Melt 2 sticks salted butter and separate into halves.
Take half of the butter and coat fish fillets all over.
Roll fish in black pepper
In a super heated cast iron skillet, place fillets in on one side then the other.
Remove board from oven
Let sear for 45 seconds on each side then place on warmed plank.
Sprinkle Ginger and Garlic all over fish.
Drizzle wine on all sides of fish.
Wrap the board together with fish with perforated aluminum foil.
Place in oven preheated at 350 and bake for 6-8 minutes per pound, depending on fish thickness.
After baking, let fish settle for 10 minutes then remove foil.
Once at the table discard the fish and eat the plank

Similar to an old recipe I had for migrating coots. Soak and marinate similarly, then go out to the cow yard and scoop up a gallon bucket of fresh cow dung. Pack the coot in the cow dung and cook at 350 for 4 hours. Discard the coot and eat the dung with a little salt and basil on it.

In my neck of he woods it was a goose First and last attempt at baking a goose it was horrible so that Sunday we ate mashed potatoes gravy corn peas and cranberry Dog wouldn't eat the darn thing

Although carp aren't pleasing to the eye, they're fun to catch and decent table fair to boot!
This is a recipe handed down from my European great grandmother.
Ingredients:
4-6 pounds Carp Fillets, Boneless
Fresh ice cold water
Apple Juice
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt
Soy
Ginger
Garlic
Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio white wine
Olive Oil
Lemon Powder
Finely chopped Dill
Suitably sized cedar plank
Cat iron Skillet
Directions:
Fillet carp in same manner as you would a Walleye, ensuring to cut out mudlines and any other dark spots
Remove the skin and place fillets in ice-cold water with the following ratios for each pound of fillets:
4 oz clean bottled water
4 oz apple juice
2 teaspoon salt
For 6 pounds of fillets, it's 24 oz water, 24 oz apple juice, and 12 tsp of salt.
Let fish marinade in water for 36-48 hours as your time permits.
After soaking, remove fish and rinse.
Set uncovered fish aside in refrigerator for an hour while you prepare for cooking.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil onto plank for each pound of carp and spread so a thick film of oil covers plank.
Sprinkle lemon powder and black pepper all over the plank (about 2 teaspoons each per pound Carp). Adjust amount as needed for taste.
Place plank in oven at 180 degrees for quick seasoning and oil penetration.
Remove carp from refrigerator and pat both sides dry with paper towels.
Melt 2 sticks salted butter and separate into halves.
Take half of the butter and coat fish fillets all over.
Roll fish in black pepper
In a super heated cast iron skillet, place fillets in on one side then the other.
Remove board from oven
Let sear for 45 seconds on each side then place on warmed plank.
Sprinkle Ginger and Garlic all over fish.
Drizzle wine on all sides of fish.
Wrap the board together with fish with perforated aluminum foil.
Place in oven preheated at 350 and bake for 6-8 minutes per pound, depending on fish thickness.
After baking, let fish settle for 10 minutes then remove foil.
Once at the table discard the fish and eat the plank
As much as they are looked down on, one time I took a rather small two or 3 pound carp and was able to extract a couple of steaks that I could take the bones out of. Cooked them just like regular fish in a frying pan and I was surprised, it wasn't bad at all. Of course it was in the spring, the water in the river was quite cold. I know there are places that consider them a delicacy, and I don't know about that, but you can eat them.
Squint

What did Crocodile Dundee say in the movie......"You can eat it but it taste like s**t".....
When I was a young lad many years ago we would go fishing up the river and whenever I would catch a big old carp I would take it up to an old Jewish man up the block and he was happy to receive it. I don't know how his wife cooked it but he never refused it. For all I know he may have just thrown it in the trash.

What did Crocodile Dundee say in the movie......"You can eat it but it taste like s**t".....
When I was a young lad many years ago we would go fishing up the river and whenever I would catch a big old carp I would take it up to an old Jewish man up the block and he was happy to receive it. I don't know how his wife cooked it but he never refused it. For all I know he may have just thrown it in the trash.
I've had carp smoked, I've tried gefilte fish, all I can say is that it tastes like $hit. We have commercial fisherman in the Michigan waters of Lake Erie who fish for "rough" fish. They trap these fish and ship them live out east for gefilte fish. They have a small barge that they use like a giant live well. The smell is wonderful. :eek:

About 30 years ago our gun club would venture up to Louisiana MO and buy filleted Buffalo Carp out of the Mississippi river. We would get about 40/50 lbs. The fish market feller would net the fish then put them in a big stock tank full of cool, clear water for a couple or 3 days before he filleted and scored them every 1/4".
We would take them and cut the fillets in about 4/5 pieces then roll them in seasoned cornmeal and fry to a golden brown. Everyone loved them! They would curl up and tasted wonderful. We did this for several years.
I may check back up there and see if they are still in business!

Big John

Back