Whats a good price for lead ingots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you want to know what an alloy is worth got to Rotometals to compare prices. They sell it cheapest that I'm aware of. If these are 1 lb ingots of 100% pure lead, $200 might be pretty high. If they're a specific alloy containing tin and antimony, then the price might be OK. I haven't been on Rotometals site in quite a while. Check 'em out and learn.

Found these in the classifieds for sale, 65 of them for $200. Just curious what the going rate for these would be?

View attachment 39803
Scrap pure lead from recycling yards usually is available for about .25 to .5o a pound. It is very simple to add 10% tin by weight when melting to pour. As long as you use a patched ball, adding tin isn't a must do either. Really what you need does depend on what you are shooting such as patched ball, Minnie ball, Whitworth bolt.

Scrap pure lead from recycling yards usually is available for about .25 to .5o a pound. It is very simple to add 10% tin by weight when melting to pour. As long as you use a patched ball, adding tin isn't a must do either. Really what you need does depend on what you are shooting such as patched ball, Minnie ball, Whitworth bolt.
I don't really know what I would do with it, I have never cast anything before, but I do have a Lee pot for my annealing of brass.
I would like to learn and would probably start with a bullet like the Idaho Lewis one I see mentioned alot.

Something that would shoot out of my .50 Renegade.

You should be able to get pure lead for about $2 a pound. When I was down in Florida last year I was able to get 100 lb of pure lead all chipped up for $125. I found it on line and made the 150 mile round trip to get it.

Last edited:
I’d recommend not buying it if they can’t tell you what the alloy is. It could have zinc wheel weights in it and it could have gold in it. Ya can’t tell. It’s probably only worth $20,,,,not $200.

If ya wanna learn about bullet casting get the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. Read the safety warnings. Lead fumes are dangerous. It’s is a great hobby

No its $1-2.00 a lb now, been following lead for a while. I cast a lot bullets so Im always looking for lead. Some scrap yard will not sell it. They have contracts with big buyers.

Unless it is a reputable scrap dealer, I avoid the ingot off market or e-bay. ZINC burnt. Now that being said lead around $2.50 a pound AVERAGE may be able to find it lower or higher. $3.08 a pound is a bit steep

If I see a store locally that has ingots I take my tester in. I tell them I will test it all and mark it accordingly. If it's 5 bhn I will give 2 bucks a pound. Between 5 and 8 I give 1.50

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112_165012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112_165012_Gallery.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
Back