what's the most important componant, rod, reel or line.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Just wondering what you all thought. IMO the rod is the most important. It fights the fish. The reel picks of line and the line keeps you attached to the fish. That's not to say you shouldn't have a good reel with a smooth drag system or good quality line, but I feel the rod is where you should spend your money.

The line. I've caught fish with nothing but rigged line and a 6" stick. You can do without a rod and reel in a pinch.

LETS NOT FORGET KNOTS!
Just my thought but I think either the improved trilene or the palomar tied properly is the most important componet of all items in line to the fish.

They all 3 work as a Team...but to me the Rod gets my vote. Rod sensitivity, backbone etc help you first feel the bite, then set the hook and is an important role in playing the fish. Of course...a high quality reel with decent drag is important... Well then also a quality low vis & low stretch line also....I better stop or I will have a 3 way tie!!! :lol: :lol:

Damn good thread there RAF!!!! :lol: :lol: I still vote the Rod....but by a very close margin for sure.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to pick something that wasn't on the list. I feel that the guy holding the rod/reel/line is more important than the equipment. When 2 guys fish side by side, and switch rods back and forth and one guy consistently catches more fish or has more strikes, the equipment is a moot point. :)

With that out of the way, no matter how good the rod is, nor how silky the drag on the reel is, if the line is crappy you'll still break off fish or spend so much time untangling the line that you'll get frustrated and head for the dock. I feel that the equipment has to be balanced so everything works together.

Latest posts

Back