Which muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzz

Reaction score
I’m getting back into muzzleloader hunting. Sold my Remington ultimate a couple years ago. Loved how it shot but heavy as hell. I have read bad things about the cva muzzleloaders. Is it true there garbage? I really like the one I had 8 years ago. What’s a good accurate muzzleloader to get in 50 caliber?

I think all or most are accurate if you take the time to figure out the primer/powder/bullet combination it shoots best.

Which of the above components do you have available?
Blackhorn 209 is far less corrosive powder unless you go smokeless (another rabbit hole) If that matters to you.
209 primers are more difficult to find at least for me but I have a supply of musket caps so im set.
Bullets are mostly a personal thing. I think some are better than others but few make up for a poor shot.

Ive said before that with a $2-300 mz and the time to properly search for an accurate load I can kill most or all things on the planet.

You like break open action for easy cleaning???
You like a Bolt action only lighter like your Remington?

Tell us more.

Last edited:
I have bh209, and don’t really care about bolt action or break open. I just want to be able to clean it by taking the breech plug out easily. It’s for elk hunting in Utah. I like the hornady bore drivers and fury bullets.

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

I’m getting back into muzzleloader hunting. Sold my Remington ultimate a couple years ago. Loved how it shot but heavy as hell. I have read bad things about the cva muzzleloaders. Is it true there garbage? I really like the one I had 8 years ago. What’s a good accurate muzzleloader to get in 50 caliber?
I have 2) CVA's both 2019 an Accura V2 & a Paramount both .45. They both are impressively accurate & I've had no problems at all with either one. The problem with the CVA's ( IF you get a consistent bore ) is that they are over bored from American spec for their proprietary Powerbelt bullets. So to use any other bullets, you'll almost guaranteed need to size your bullets.
The Knight Ultra light or a Woodman Patriot or an Encore or Omega. All of those are outstanding choices for you.

My CVA Optima 50 aint garbage , does really well with full bore and sabots and shoots what I aim for up to 200 yds as good as I can hold . It just is a great (reasonable costing )rifle with proper scope costing more than the gun!! The deer can't complain , they don't ( live here ) anymore or anywhere else /Ed

I haven't read any bad reports on cva as of recent ,maybe 30 years ago they had issues . Where did you read the report ? Any new cva,Knight or even traditions should serve you well. I am a tc and white fan myself but both are no longer in production.

I like CVA. My Optima V2 50 was great. For Elk, something that slings big lead well. I guessing a used White or a Knight, the Knight would probably be easier to obtain. How about a Knight Mountaineer 52 cal?

I think the main issue with cva is if you get the 45 cal and ever want to shoot bullets other than power belts. It seems they made the barrel to fit their bullet, but not so good with others.
That's just what I've read from many on here who were not happy with cva , I have only positive to say about the 50 cal MR

There are 4 Knights for sale on this sight as I write this. You would do yourself well by checking them out and if they would suit your need could be a great place to get your gun.

If you can use a 45 cal the disc extreme would solve a world of problems. I have a 1/30 twist and it throws 380 grain lead just wonderful. If 380 grains of lead wont kill it your on another planet.

I’m thinkin I’m going with cva accura in 50 cal. My old one never gave me an issue and shot the fury bullets into 1” groups at 100 yards.

My first muzzy i purchased was a cva optima lr. I like it just because it's my first. You know how you always remember your first? Then you look back on it, like well at the time the price felt right, and you begin to understand why soo many came before you holding that same model. All left feeling great and accomplished holding that lil beauty in your arms. You've left your hard earned load with another as cash on the counter cause you don't use a credit card for fear of leaving a paper trail. But on the way home you start to feel a lil cheap. Wondering if you should've sprung for the platinum model instead of that XL model.

A couple practice sessions pass and you find yourself in the clinic with a diagnosis of a burnt flash hole and loose rings. Well maybe the performance issues were a fluke right. As the itch grows to get back in the saddle you accept your choice as it is what it is. Wish my ramrod was longer also. I'll do better next time.

And that's my story about my CVA. Wish I would've gone a different path.

I just did some reading on the Patriot with the 45 cal only not the 50 they have safe smokeless loads recommended for 275 grain and under sabots. I might have to try and get one to Canada, seeing how I can't find Blackhorn 209 here.

Last edited:
I own several in lines, CVA ACCURA, Knight MK85, TC Omega and Knight Disc extreme. All are totally capable guns and shoot extremely well when loaded to their liking. I find myself picking up the MK 85 when hunting as it just feels right. Whatever you decide there is no replacement for practice and load development. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Latest posts

Back