White Super 91 / 495 NoExcuses - Hit the Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I headed to my local range last night after work with my new Super 91 (.504) and a box of NoExcuses 495gr thumpers.

This was my first time at the range since I got the gun from Chuck Hill ( Big6x6 ) so I wasnt sure what to expect.... Especially shooting a different bullet than I did in Crossville!

Here is a pic of the bullets... On the left is the bullet I shot yesterday, NoExcuses 495gr. On the right is one of Bob Bowers' (Super91) finest! NEW 495gr FLYING TRASHCAN! Notice the meaty meplate on Bob's bullet as compared to the NoExcuses bullet. Notice the TLC Bob puts into his conicals... ;)

1f03e79b.jpg

First off was the 50 yard target. I set up and loaded the gun with 75 grains of 777 fffg and a 495gr. NoExcuses.

I shot 2 - 4 shot groups and the results were very pleasing to me! No scope adjustments or any changes from Crossville and Bob's bullets to the NE's..

I was very surprised! I know I can close these groups with some practice! But for the first 8 shots on target I am VERY happy! In both targets that follow.. the high and right holes were the 4th shot and I pulled them both a little.. :(

1st 50 yd group.. :)
white.jpg

2nd 50yd group.. :)
e3c849b5.jpg

Next, I went to the 100 yd range and this is where I need more work.. My groups really opened up! I suppose in a hunting situation they would all be MOA of deer, but I would like to improve none the less! My goal is to cut this next target in half on before hunting season! I think the next target is in the 3-4" range...

100 yd group :(
14d424c0.jpg

I was a little puzzled at the grouping because they came in totally random in the printing.. up,down,left, right.. ???

At the bottom of the target it appears to be a nice 3 shot group... but they were not printed together in a string.. Just ended up there after the smoke cleared.

All shots were with 75 gr 777 and a 495 NE. I did experiment with 65gr of powder and it appeared as if thigs started to shrink. I have read about wonder wads and plan to try those next. It seems that may be the ticket to helping my 100 yd target.

All in all... I REALLY like this gun and it is a keeper! I was amazed at the ease of loading the .001 undersized conicals.. they merely fall down the barrel on their own. The weight of the ramrod is almost enough to seat the bullet on the powder charge! Besides that, no swabbing or waiting for the barrel to cool between shots was another plus!! The #11 ignition also proved to be very reliable and perfect to date!

This White Super91 has a permanant place in my gunsafe alongside my Savage10ML, Disc Elite, and Soon to arrive Henry Ball 10ML. I was so impressed, I sold my 24" Sidekick to a freind of mine! As good as that gun was, It would see no action from me in the company of my other ML's.

You are a swell guy Mr. Hill.. This 91 is in good hands! ;D

Thanks,

JJ

I did forget something....

I shot a handful at the 200 yd range and I feel the gun is capable but only with a LOT of practice!

Anyhow, I dug some of the 495's from the dirt and snapped a shot... I tried to find some at the 100 yd mound.. but they were waaaay in there and I didnt bring a shovel... I would say they still penetrated almost 24" at the 200 yard line. :cool:

Nice Mushrooms... and remember.. this is @ 200 yds!

bobsNEW.jpg

That looks like about a 2 inch, 5-shot group at 100yds. That's really all you need from zero to 125yds or so. The best thing about a White rifle IMO is they they are generally very fun to shoot. They put the bullets where they should go as well!

Thanks for posting the groups and telling about your trip to the range. That's what it is all about!

Latest posts

Back