Whitehots vs bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzz

Reaction score
How are white hots compared to black horn 209.? Can you shoot multiple rounds with white hots with ease of putting bullet down barrel like 209?

From memory, I think, 2 pellets of White Hots are equal to 80gV of BH209. I could be wrong. I don't know about the White Hots (never used them) but BH209 I never swabbed between shots. I never had a issue with loading.

Yes my experience with bh209 is it’s the cats meow. But availability is my concern. I’m just looking for a possible alternative

Stay away from pellets if you're already accustomed to using loose powder. T7 loose is very similar to bh209 power wise. Just dirtier so you'll be running a patch down.

The MSD sheet for "White Hots" is found below. BH209 is a hybrid powder containing 83% nitrocellulose, which is the same thing found in smokeless powders. It will produce much higher pressures than the IMR "White Hots", which use corrosive oxidizers for the source of Oxygen. The chemicals like the Nitrates were originally found in the droppings of bats from caves, and the deposits of bird dropping found on some islands. Bat droppings and bird "guano" were an important part of the development of Black Powder.

Because BH209 is 83% nitrocellulose it is less corrosive, but the Guanidine Nitrate in it is still corrosive. Many sources are now selling BH209 at over $80 per half pound. I wonder how many shooters do not realize it is 83% Nitrocellulose?

https://feeds.brownells.com/userdoc...DGDON IMR HOT PELLETS, 50GR - 407_default.pdf

I didn't either just experience with loading centerfire rifles and BH209 in muzzleloader. I did ALOT of reading, researching, asking questions here and other boards. If your a handloader/reloader, it shouldn't be a hard transition.
I reload, it’s just getting a muzzleloader that takes smokeless powder

I reload, it’s just getting a muzzleloader that takes smokeless powder
There are a few Savage 10ML rifles still around, if you can find someone willing to part with it. You can also put one of the barrels on a Savage CF action if you can find one. Arrowhead Rifles sells a bolthead for the Savage CF that takes 209 primers.

Prefit barrels are available, if you can find a cheap Savage Action.

https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/savage_prefit_barrels/

What needs to be done to make one smokeless
I just ordered a new Pac-Nor barrel for a centerfire project and was told by Jay that they planned on making the Remington 700 Muzzleloader conversion barrels again. So if you can find a Rem-700 MZ to re-barrel with a pac-Nor you would have a kick ass rifle that will shoot smokeless.

I just ordered a new Pac-Nor barrel for a centerfire project and was told by Jay that they planned on making the Remington 700 Muzzleloader conversion barrels again. So if you can find a Rem-700 MZ to re-barrel with a pac-Nor you would have a kick ass rifle that will shoot smokeless.
My 300grain Mach 3 Rifle is built on the Rem 700ML action. I am glad to see somebody is making barrels for it again.

Back