Wild Boars: Russian VS Feral ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Ok all you veteran Hoggsters ....how about telling me the differences between the 2?? :D

My understanding is at Loshbough's they were primarily of the Russian breed.

One is generally considered to be a breed; the other a result of a piggly that didn't care where he stuck his wiggly. :?

RandyWakeman said:
One is generally considered to be a breed; the other a result of a piggly that didn't care where he stuck his wiggly. :?

:lol: Thanks Randy.

Loggy, you've seen the Russians, Ferals are domesticated pigs that now run wild.

Loggy, you've seen the Russians, Ferals are domesticated pigs that now run wild.

Well that about covers it. You can usually tell by hair length/color. For instance if it is a white and black pig, you can BET it's a feral hog! :)

The russians have a longer snout. And generally are dark brown almost black. possibly abit meaner.

The feral hogs can be red, white, polka dotted, or striped. They can reach huge size. The Russians tend to be dark brown, have a straight tail with no curl, and big in the forequarters and narrow in the hind quarters. They have a long large head and very course long hair.

:D Thanks for all the input guys.

I did see a multi-colored Hog at Loshbough's runnin with the pack which I shot my Russian out of. It had some lite brown, white spots but was overall dark plus it looked much larger than the rest. To me it looked close to 300 plus lbs and if I would of got a clear shot not sure whut I would of done. This was my first Hog hunt & was sure alot of pork on the hoof there! :lol: :lol:

HEY LOGGY,

ACCORDING TO NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC A LOT OF WILD HOGS WE SEE TODAY ARE CROSSBED HYBRIDS OF DOMESTIC FERAL HOGS AND RUSSIANS. THEY ALSO SAY THAT IT CAN TAKE AS LITTLE AS 3 WEEKS FOR DOMESTIC HOGS THAT HAVE BECOME FERAL TO START EXHIBITING CHARACTERISTICS OF THEIR WILD COUSINS (I.E. COARSE HAIR, LONGER SNOUT, SHORTER BACK LEGS AND INCREASE IN TUSK LENGTH)
THEY DIDN'T EXPLAIN HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN SO QUICKLY.

ALSO WHEN DOMESTIC FERAL HOGS ARE CROSSED WITH WILD RUSSIANS, THE RESULTANT HYBRIDS EXHIBIT A GENETIC PHENOMENON KNOWN AS HETEROSIS, WHICH MEANS THEY HAVE ATTRIBUTES THAT WILL EXCEED EITHER PARENT INCLUDING BODY WEIGHT, TUSK SIZE, ETC. THIS IS THE SAME REASON WE SEE BEEF CATTLE PRODUCERS CROSSING DIFFERENT BREEDS.

THE FAMOUS HOGZILLA KILLED IN ARKANSAS WAS FOUND TO BE A CROSS BETWEEN A DOMESTIC HOG AND A WILD VARIETY. ORIGINALLY THOUGHT TO BE OVER 12 FEET LONG AND WEIGHING OVER 1000 LBS., IT WAS ACTUALLY 700-800 LBS. AND ABOUT 8-9 FEET LONG. (STILL A MIGHTY LARGE PIECE OF PORK :!:)

TERRELL

:D Hi TERRELL! Welcome here...heard your Chucks buddy. God Bless you!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Hog info.

Loggy said:
:D Hi TERRELL! Welcome here...heard your Chucks buddy. God Bless you!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Hog info.

Hardy, har, har! :x

:lol:

HEY CHUCK,

I KEEP WAITIN' FOR YOUR SHOOTING STAR TO STOP LOOKING AROUND AND DRAW THAT DARN SIX-SHOOTER.

TERRELL

TMILBYRX said:
HEY CHUCK,

I KEEP WAITIN' FOR YOUR SHOOTING STAR TO STOP LOOKING AROUND AND DRAW THAT DARN SIX-SHOOTER.

TERRELL

Watch out buddy! I'm a itchin' to!

boarhunt.jpg

Those are the ferally common type.

Another way to tell the difference is how the hair is split on the end.

Back