winchester platinum 260grain?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
well i gotta ask has anyone got an ml10 thats will shoot these? any game taken with one? it seems such a natural bullet borrowing from Black Talon pistol bullet technology :D

I've killed two whitetail and two hogs with it. I was using a Knight Disc Extreme though. Best performing bullet I've ever used!

big6x6 said:
I've killed two whitetail and two hogs with it. I was using a Knight Disc Extreme though. Best performing bullet I've ever used!

Same performance here on 4 whitetail out of my Extreme. Only 1 went anywhere and that was only 20 yds. The rest dropped in their tracks.

I have not gotten the 260gr Win Platnium Tips to group well in my Savage 10ML-2. I have tried the Win PT's with AA-5744 and IMR 4759 with the same poor results. My SS barrel definitely shows an affinity for 300gr. bullets. My barrel prefers the XTPs, SSTs and Barnes MZs.

IAhunter said:
My SS barrel definitely shows an affinity for 300gr. bullets. My barrel prefers the XTPs, SSTs and Barnes MZs.

Nothing wrong with that. The gun was designed around a 300grn XTP. :wink:

I have not gotten the 260gr Win Platnium Tips to group well in my Savage 10ML-2.

I don't know of a single Savage shooter that has gotten them to shoot well. That's too bad...

big6x6 said:
I don't know of a single Savage shooter that has gotten them to shoot well. That's too bad...

Is that because they are undersized?

If so, they should work well in the disc elite or maybe the A/H??

Doohan said:
big6x6 said:

Is that because they are undersized?

They're not undersized or they wouldn't shoot out of a Knight. The savage is probably spinning them too fast with the 1/24 twist. You could probably get them to shoot better in the 1800-1900 fps range. In other words about what you'd get with 90-100 gr of 777.

hmmmm so 36-38 grains of 5744 or 26-28 grains of unique so lower recoil yet terminal performance what sabots do these come with? with good shot placement 150 yrds and closer hmmmmm :eek:

If so, they should work well in the disc elite or maybe the A/H??

They shoot really good in one of my Disc Elite .50s. I have not tried them in the other one.

As far as sabots go...I always discard the ones that come with them and use new stock MMP short sabots. I've shot them in the 1900fps range with good accuracy.

Good info guys! I got some from RW awhile back.. I will try them in the weeks to follow!

JJ

Latest posts

Back