Wolf V2/Blackhorn primer blow-by

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKG_Outdoors

Reaction score
Finally was able to sight in my wolf v2 using hornady 240gr xtp and got great groups. I was having some blow-by issues with the primer, someone told me I was at the upper end of pressure using a 209A primer and 80 grains by volume (56-57 grains by weight on both of my scales) of BH209. Does this sound likely?

IMG-0090.JPG

Is this a new gun or a "new to you" gun. That primer sure looks like there's some serious pressure being put on it [think in terms of a burned out plug] and I don't think an 80 volumetric charge is enough to do that if the plug is new.

Is this a new gun or a "new to you" gun. That primer sure looks like there's some serious pressure being put on it [think in terms of a burned out plug] and I don't think an 80 volumetric charge is enough to do that if the plug is new.
Brand new rifle, plug and bottle of powder.

The firing pin bushing imprints may be due to it being screwed in too far. It should be flush, or very close to flush, with the receiver around it and the primer cup is migrating when fired or the headspace on the plug is way off [short]. That primer cup should be flat all the way across without any imprinting on it.

Something is wrong. I am shooting 84grs of blackhorn by weight. With 0 issues. What primer are u using?

My grandson's is shooting 100 grains V with 250 Barnes TEZs with 209As. No issues so suspect it's not your carge weight.

You are not using too much powder. My regular load is 84 gr by weight from my CVA wolf. Are you using o-rings in your primer pocket? Once I put one in mine, the primers come out looking clean; no blow-by.
Then again, I don't like the way that primer is dented. Maybe get a new breech plug and try again.

YUP BH209 you need to say nothing further, $90 for 8 ounces of kinda might make the bullet fly with any primer you might use....Now don`t take my word for it you got the proof. I have had same issues, some of my ML amigos have had the same exact results you have gotten Surely it is NOT BH209`s fault you, like myself and my amigos have CLEARLY tampered with it some how. This is why I will never give up my PYRODEX. Then again it aint none of MY BUSINESS

YUP BH209 you need to say nothing further, $90 for 8 ounces of kinda might make the bullet fly with any primer you might use....Now don`t take my word for it you got the proof. I have had same issues, some of my ML amigos have had the same exact results you have gotten Surely it is NOT BH209`s fault you, like myself and my amigos have CLEARLY tampered with it some how. This is why I will never give up my PYRODEX. Then again it aint none of MY BUSINESS

The load I'm going with today in my Optima 50 is 88 gr by weight/110 gr BH 209 under a Hornady 250 gr XTP and shoots great at our short range (190 yds) 3" groups ground hogs killer ( but to cold )so there's always todays opener for deer !/Ed

It's definitely not a Blackhorn issue!

And this helps the OP how????????????????????????????

Latest posts

Back