Woodman Patriot 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
I want to order a Woodman Patriot 45 cal. I’ve read various posts here and unsure on what barrel twist to get between 1-18, 1-24 and 1-20 (+$300). Use will be general hunting in Vermont with BH209 and scoped, smokeless is not legal here during our muzzleloader seasons but is legal in another state that I hunt.

What would the best twist rate be for both powders? I think I read that 1-18 would be good all around. Would the high pressure adjustable breech plug be needed for smokeless? Thoughts?

After all that, I was at our local sportsman show last month. Hal Blood was there along with other Big Woods Bucks members. They had two Woodman Patriots there for a raffle, one 45 cal and one 50 cal. Winner gets both and I bought 2 tickets. Both guns come in a custom wooden box. No one was allowed to handle the rifles. Drawing is April 4th.

I’d go with the 18 or 20. IIRC, the 18 is a McGowen button-rifled barrel and the 20 is the Brux cut-rifled (for the added cost). Would depend on which bullets you intend to shoot. I think it would be tough to beat the 18 for the money. My 18 twist McGowen from Mark shoots 327 gr sized Parker bullets as well as it does saboted 195 Barnes. Yeah, the high pressure plug is the one you want for smokeless.

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t give bullets much thought, figured I use what Mark recommends for a given barrel twist. I just got done reading a 6 page thread that went all over the place. I think I‘ll call Woodman Arms.

I went with the Brux 1-20, because well, it’s a Brux. But also I figured because it was in between the two extremes of what Woodman offers I settled there. I’d do it again or might go with the 1-18 for the longer, heavier bullets to stabilize better. Though I’ve not seen what my 20 twist limits are yet. I am very happy with it so far With the limited bullets I’ve tried. I don’t think you can wrong with either choice.

Get the medium pressure adjustable plug for heavy BH209 loads and the high pressure if your going smokeless .
E2E52494-1062-417D-A2E9-6E73D3D289D3.jpeg

Talked to Tim this morning at Woodman Arms about different options, twist rates, etc with the 45 cal rifle. Tim was able to answer most of my questions including that the 1-24 twist rate is suitable for BH209 and smokeless powder.

Talked to Mark later in the day and he confirmed what Tim told me about the 1-24 twist. I asked about the different adjustable breech plugs and I could use the regular one that comes with the rifle or use the low pressure or medium pressure adjustable breech plugs if I use the saboted bullets recommended for the 1-24 twist like the 225 grain or 250 grain star tip bullets. Mark recommended the 250 grain star tip bullet for BH209 or smokeless. H4198 smokeless if I can find it or Reloder 7 if I can’t.

I’ll probably order the 45 cal in 1-24 twist and a Medium pressure adjustable breech plug.

Update:

Ordered the Woodman Arms 45 cal 1-24 twist muzzleloader and the medium pressure adjustable breech plug tonight. Will order a scope mount or pic rail when I decide which scope I want for it along with some other misc stuff.

I chose to pick the gun up in NH. I’ll have the other stuff shipped when I make that order.

Edit: Ordered the brown laminate stock.

Last edited:
Update:

Ordered the Woodman Arms 45 cal 1-24 twist muzzleloader and the medium pressure adjustable breech plug tonight. Will order a scope mount or pic rail when I decide which scope I want for it along with some other misc stuff.

I chose to pick the gun up in NH. I’ll have the other stuff shipped when I make that order.

Edit: Ordered the brown laminate stock.
You will love that brown laminate

What twist rate did you order?
the brux .45 1-20 with the forest laminate . i'm also getting the barrel threaded for a muzzlebrake since it is so lite . i won't use the MB when hunting and i have a pair of xcel 500bt to protect my ears when using it . gotta wait a few more months till my baby gets here .....

Back