Woodman Patriot 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the brux .45 1-20 with the forest laminate . i'm also getting the barrel threaded for a muzzlebrake since it is so lite . i won't use the MB when hunting and i have a pair of xcel 500bt to protect my ears when using it . gotta wait a few more months till my baby gets here .....

Even with its light weight i dont think you will mind something like a 225-240gr 40cal in a sabot. You can easily shoot those around 2400fps with minimal powder. You pretty much need a max+ load of BH209 to get them that fast and the added powder weight increases recoil. Its a full 30gr less powder needed with smokeless and even more if you use a faster powder.

Shooting my NULA with a 225gr at 2300fps+ dont feel bad at all but a 275gr at 2450fps will get your attention. It not brutal but no fun at the range.

I plan on starting with the load recommended by Mark. 100gr of BH209 and the Fury 225gr and 250gr 40 cal star tip bullets with the light blue Harvester crush rib sabots.

If I get a good group with either of those bullets, I’ll call it good for hunting. If not, I’ll have to get it figured out. I’d like to stick with a saboted load.

Our muzzleloader seasons are short in VT. 4 day early antlerless only season at the end of October and a 9 day season in early December.

What bullet and powder did you use.
I shot 3 deer with this load this year. 45 cal. Patriot.. Vihtavuori n120@ 55.0 grains, 45 cal. Fury veggie wad and stb 265 grain fury muzzle loader bullet. Shooting bullet to bore.. found only 1, shot this little guy quartering to me. Other 2 were pass throughs at 100 yds plus..D2469320-7A98-4F16-AF88-582C5055DDEA.png0B070937-21A9-41AA-8A5E-8AD5C5A66BA9.jpeg

I shot 3 deer with this load this year. 45 cal. Patriot.. Vihtavuori n120@ 55.0 grains, 45 cal. Fury veggie wad and stb 265 grain fury muzzle loader bullet. Shooting bullet to bore.. found only 1, shot this little guy quartering to me. Other 2 were pass throughs at 100 yds plus..View attachment 32073View attachment 32074
Thats a dang good hunting bullet right there.

I shot 3 deer with this load this year. 45 cal. Patriot.. Vihtavuori n120@ 55.0 grains, 45 cal. Fury veggie wad and stb 265 grain fury muzzle loader bullet. Shooting bullet to bore.. found only 1, shot this little guy quartering to me. Other 2 were pass throughs at 100 yds plus..

Shorty,
Are you using the High Pressure plug for this load? Also, do you know the speed your getting?

Vihtavuori n120@ 55.0 grains, 45 cal. Fury veggie wad and stb 265 grain fury muzzle loader bullet.
That sounds like a very good load too. Im a huge fan on VV powders just dont go too wild with them. N120 is also great for some sabot loads if looking for speed.

Thats about right...maybe a tad faster. Pretty sure i got around that fps with a 300gr and N120 in my small shank Pacnor.
I think i was around 2400 fps

I shot 3 deer with this load this year. 45 cal. Patriot.. Vihtavuori n120@ 55.0 grains, 45 cal. Fury veggie wad and stb 265 grain fury muzzle loader bullet. Shooting bullet to bore.. found only 1, shot this little guy quartering to me. Other 2 were pass throughs at 100 yds plus..View attachment 32073View attachment 32074
What twist barrel do you go with? & how’s the maintenance using that powder, will it have to be cleaned more often since it’s not the recommended bh209? Completely new to mzloaders, trying to figure out what configuration to order. Your set up looks potent with a mushroom like that!

What twist barrel do you go with? & how’s the maintenance using that powder, will it have to be cleaned more often since it’s not the recommended bh209? Completely new to mzloaders, trying to figure out what configuration to order. Your set up looks potent with a mushroom like that!
Had a little centricity problem with my brux 1/20. Sent it back to Mark. He give me a choice and i took a brand new gun with the 1/18 mcgowen. That is the bullet i shoot now. It’s awesome for whitetails. You could clean the bore once a year and be fine, the breechplug needs to be cleaned about every 15 shots for top accuracy. Mark Woodman is a great person to do business with he cares about each customer. Vihtavuori n120 is about $45.00 a pound, and alot better than blackhorn 209 that they want to much for…

Was out fishing yesterday and got a call with a NH area code. Didn’t answer then checked the message: The 45 cal Patriot I ordered March 4th was ready for pickup. GF took the day off to fish today. Going to NH tomorrow to pick it up plus other stuff I’ll need since the weather sux for a few days. Going to get the picatinny rail as I don’t know what scope I’m going to get yet.

Drove to NH yesterday to pick up my 45 cal Patriot and a few accessories. Very nice operation. If you go there and think you are lost on a gravel driveway in Brentwood, you are at the right place. :)

The stock is great looking. I put on vinyl gloves to handle it and put it together. My other muzzleloaders have black synthetic stocks.

Decided to sell my 50 cal Wolverine LK-93 when I get a chance and keep the 50 cal CVA Accura MR as a backup since it’s tweaked in with BH209 and will use BH209 with the Patriot. 5 pounds of BH209 should last awhile.

Now I need to decide on a scope. Looking at Leupold and Trijicon Accupoint. Most hunting is 100 yards or less, might go with 1x-6x.

6CAE65AF-44E9-4A88-B82B-DFF775BF0DA6.jpeg

A66DD8B3-5912-4EA1-8CA2-7EBD48B158D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back