Worn breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I had my Traditions Buckstalker out last weekend I had just fired this last month and it broke 1.5 inches but it also showed some inconsistency while getting there which I chalked up to not firing it for 3-4 yrs and a bottom third of a 2 yr old 777 . This past week with an newer bottle and same load the inconsistency returned and recoil seemed to drastically increase so much so that I triple checked my measure. Would a worn plug exhibit this ? I’ve run the usual checks scope, mount etc I’ve also noticed that the rifle is the loosest of all my break actions . Any thoughts are appreciated.

A worn out plug will definitely cause some accuracy headaches. I'd also figure out why its so loose.

Opened powder seems to still shoot a few years after opening as long as it is kept dry.... as in sealed tightly against humidity. T7 will degrade some if it hasn't been in a really well sealed jug and kept in a low humidity environment. As you've noticed, it will lose some power as reflected in recoil. I think you have a plug isse and maybe should try a new one.

Last edited:
Based on weld tip cleaning it is larger this plug would always fire bh 209 reliably without a quick range cleaning the other plugs of this design would often have to be cleaned after 5-6 rounds so yeah it larger but is 777 or other carbon based powders more sensitive than bh 209 ?

Since you opened a new can I’d say you have a hotter lot of powder now. Your old can of 777 was losing umph as soon as you opened the lid.
Did you ever chrono your speeds when you had good accuracy? If so try to match speeds with the new powder and see if your groups come back.

Yeah the ignition hole for the primers do get larger if you shoot a lot. You could get someone to drill and tap it for a insert then drill a new proper sized hole in the insert too. If you have one, I would check the O’ring sealing it as well. It may be worn out too. But it sure would not hurt anything to get and try a new breechplug though.

I can also attest to resealing the bottles of old T7. I sealed a bottle of 3f with the sealer patch then Saran Wrap over that and screwed the cap down tight back when I switched to BH over 10 yrs ago. Recently started shooting it again no problems seems to shoot fine.

Latest posts

Back