Need a little help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
All I was shooting my Buckstalker today and it was still inconsistent as it was the last two times out. I weighed my 777 fffg so as to take that out of the equation . I am thinking I narrowed this down to either an enlarged plug fire channel/hole or the scope . I was getting 2-21/2 inches at 50 and 33/4 at 100 . I was leaning to a popped Burris scope but looking at a past post from 2017 I described nearly the same issue so my question is would that fire channel cause the opening of the groups . I might get two close and a third off . Actually if it’s the plug it’s a much cheaper fix. Thanks

All I was shooting my Buckstalker today and it was still inconsistent as it was the last two times out. I weighed my 777 fffg so as to take that out of the equation . I am thinking I narrowed this down to either an enlarged plug fire channel/hole or the scope . I was getting 2-21/2 inches at 50 and 33/4 at 100 . I was leaning to a popped Burris scope but looking at a past post from 2017 I described nearly the same issue so my question is would that fire channel cause the opening of the groups . I might get two close and a third off . Actually if it’s the plug it’s a much cheaper fix. Thanks
Have you cleaned the BP primer hole ? Maybe carbon or crud build up

All thanks. I didn’t say I started with a variflame breechplug and while high the groups seemed to respond to the scope . However due to either primer hardness or pin issues I had to switch to the old plug and that’s when issues started. To illustrate what I mean I had my Deerhunter on the range 2 weeks ago and had nearly a one hole group this rifle gave me pie plate accuracy.

Back