Barnes 290 T-EZ Repeat

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning the bullet was once again shot through carpet, plywood, and into water jugs. However this time the plywood was cut in half, thus was thinner than it was in the first test. Range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

barn2902.jpg

The photo shows the jugs arranged as they were before the shot. The first jug is toasted; the second jug has a big split out the side, and is destroyed. The third, and fourth jugs have a hole in, and a hole out. The fifth jug has a hole in, and is where the bullet stopped.

IMG_0850.JPG

:applause:
There is the good ole Barnes we are used too! Now I can go back to sleeping easy at night and not worrying about my preferred hunting load.

Thanks for testing this again Ron. Im going to stop wondering about that first test and chalk it up to a freak 1 in a million thing :think:

What happened over time, and test, is we ran out of the shelving we started with, which was used in front of the jugs. The shelving was given us by the lady, instead of her tossing it. When it was gone, it was replaced by some thicker plywood found out in the garden shed. Right away, it seemed the thicker stuff, skewed the results, and another test or two, revealed it did indeed. The thicker plywood was re-sawn, and now is about the same thickness as the original shelving.

It may be some material will have to be purchased, but for now the goal is to use up what is laying around here. Hopefully, hunting season will start, before we run out of scrap plywood.

1616791911254.png

That is a thing of beauty! I'd love to know the minimum velocity required to make these bullets open up....

I thought one of the big advantages of Barnes is they retain all their weight for a pass through? I wouldn't be happy seeing any in the butchers pan.

Yeah, that's true. Some hunters aim for shoulder shots. Another senior moment.

And sometimes there just isn't a pass through. I once shot a mule deer with a 338 Win Mag. Not an end to end shot or anything. The bullet was on the far side, against the hide. How in the name of common sense that deer caught that bullet is way beyond me!

All Barnes deer bullet recoveries.
image.jpeg
Some were shotgun slugs and some muzzy bullets. Bottom right is a Thor. The really deformed one passed through deer and lodged in an oak tree. Went back a week latter and got it out of the tree with an hatchet. Most deer bullets will keep on going. A friend recovered a bullet one day laying on the ground just beyond where the deer was when the bullet made impact. What's not to like??

I thought one of the big advantages of Barnes is they retain all their weight for a pass through? I wouldn't be happy seeing any in the butchers pan.

I think in general, bullets that always completely pass through are the ones that don't expand very well. Penetration is great, and both enter/exit holes can be a good thing for blood trails. But it also usually means max tissue damage and shock value was not achieved. I know this point is arguable, But I would personally rather have a single blood drain hole along with maximum internal damage and shock. I think it's the most lethal combination. I'm never disappointed to find a well expanded bullet on the inside of the hide opposite the entry point. It's what I actually hope to see. There might not be quite as much external blood, but there will be enough to follow, and the animal is less likely to go far before expiring. Every one of the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ's I've shot into elk performed in this exact manner. The off-side hide caught the perfectly expanded bullet, and the elk expired very quickly. I haven't shot one of these into a deer yet, but I would suspect complete pass-through's might be more common on those. When the Barnes peels back like a banana, the pedals become like a small archery broadhead, cutting and slicing all the way through and creating a very large wound channel. Very efficient little killing projectiles, plus no chance of contaminating any meat with lead particles. Those are the real advantages of the Barnes, in my opinion.

I just picked up a couple of packs of Barnes 50 cal Spitfire TMZ, all copper, plastic tip, boat tail in a yellow sabot. Wonder if is the same product?

I think in general, bullets that always completely pass through are the ones that don't expand very well. Penetration is great, and both enter/exit holes can be a good thing for blood trails. But it also usually means max tissue damage and shock value was not achieved. I know this point is arguable, ...........................
Well lets just call it debatable instead. ;)
I am 100% the opposite, wanting entry and exits along with proper shot placement. Two holes have always been better than one. Why on earth would you believe a bullet that passes through didn't expand? Must be some old hunting camp story..............
There are a ton of videos showing quite the opposite, including videos from Barnes.

I have shot a few whitetails the past couple of years with the 290 TEZ's out of my smokeless Encore. Most were quartering toward me shots. All deer folded where they stood. Two holes , no bullets recovered. Very little meat damage due to no grenade-ing of bullet. Great performance so far. I like them.

Latest posts

Back