Barnes 290 T-EZ Repeat

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer Muley Hunter's question: I shot my first bull elk with a 7mm Mag and 140 gr. Barnes. It did not exit, but the elk only went 35 yards. I switched to 160 gr. Barnes and never recovered another bullet. I'm a big believer in high sectional density. The problem I've had with muzzloader bullets is that to achieve that same sectional density (.283 for a 7mm 160gr.) in a .452 bullet requires over 400 grains. I believe that is why very heavy bullets like the No Excuses perform so well. They expand and penetrate. The flat nose bullets lose energy faster, but they are devastating when they hit. A pointed bullet goes through the hide like a needle, and that hole doesn't bleed much. Although they aren't muzzleloader hunters, there is a lot of great information at Terminal Ballistics Researchhttps://www.ballisticstudies.com, . I've been using a 405 gr. .45-70 bullet that generally drops them in their tracks. If they don't drop in their tracks, and don't leave a blood trail, it is extremely difficult to track them after they stop running.

Latest posts

Back