Flounder' 500 Grain Boolit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0866.JPG

art'letter.jpg

500boolit2.jpg

Range was 25 yards. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn. A wad was used between the boolit, and the powder. The boolit destroyed the first two jugs, and left a hole in and out through the next two jugs. The boolit was captured by the fifth jug.

IMG_0860.JPG

The powder charge of 80g is a way plenty for this boolit. The primer from the first shot could barely be removed from the breech plug using fingernails. The primer from the second shot required a tool to remove it from the breech plug. The primer from the third shot was really stuck good, and was a struggle to remove from the breech plug using the tool. All three primers leaked right through the primer cup. Before shooting any more of these boolits from Art, and some coming from Ed, a 5/32" drill will be used in the flame channel of the breech plug. Hopefully this will reduce enough of the pressure on the primers, so they can be removed without a struggle.

IMG_0864.JPG

Ron,

The powder charge of 80g is a way plenty for this boolit.

You are correct especially with BH. Your 80 grain load is a full hunting load with that bullet or actually most any bullet over 350 grains. Properties of 'progressive burning' BH approach maximum efficiency of the bullet.

IMO using 80 grains of BH on that bullet would be comparable with using 120 grains of BH on the other bullets you have been testing - sort of screws the testing process as far as comparisons.

Thanks Ron,
Pete, I don't know that it skews the test results if you are using the same charge on all the projectiles. I have a feeling that your results would look almost the same if you used a lower powder charge, at least that's what my limited experience tells me. I like the way it held together with that big charge. :D
The lightweights will seem like nothing now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Art

Virtually no weight loss! Already have the flame channel enlarged to 5/32", and plus the lighter bullets will make for less pressure on the primers next outing.

Art, Great looking bullet! Kinda looks like my 451 465gr bullet. I'm sure that bullet hits like the hammer of Thor and can take care of any animal that walks on 2 or 4 legs. I can't wait to see how mine performs as well.

flounder said:
Thanks Ron,
Pete, I don't know that it skews the test results if you are using the same charge on all the projectiles. I have a feeling that your results would look almost the same if you used a lower powder charge, at least that's what my limited experience tells me. I like the way it held together with that big charge. :D
The lightweights will seem like nothing now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Art

Art I would disagree because if you were not using a reduced load with all the other bullets I believe the results would be much different than the reduced load. 80 grains of BH with your freight train is far from a reduced load, in fact I would bet the velocity to be well above the 1200 FPS and Ron may have some lead in his bore to show for it.

I would suggest if you were to shoot the .458x260 XP or one of the heavier Barnes bullets with a full powder load - what Ron has on his saw horse would not even stop the bullets.

As an example I would offer the fact that I shoot 460 grain Bull Shops with 90 gr. if T7-3f (which I have always been told is to stiff a load and that I should be in the 70 gr, area.

Shooting the 460 with 90 grains of T7 produces:
460 gr. Bull Shop Muzzle - 2298 FPE at 100 - 1608 FPE and at 200 - 1222 FPE

Shooting a 40 cal. 215gr. with 120 grains of BH produces:
215 gr. Lehigh CT Muzzle - 2085 FPE at 100 - 1663 FPE and at 200 - 1318 FPE

At 25 yards for Ron's test...

The 460 would be going - 1434 FPS with 1400 FPE
The 215 Lehigh would be - 2033 FPS with 1972 FPE

And since the small 40 cal. presents a far smaller meplat it would also penetrate much farther with greater retained velocity.

Doc White would shoot a 750 grain bullets with 150 grains of pyrodex. Now there's a hunting load! :p :p :p
Pete, I know you disdain lead conicals but the important thing to me in this test is the mushrooming and the weight retention. A little less powder and you might have one jug less of penetration but I know from my small amount of experience that you would have plenty to get the job done.
When you set up an experiment such as this one you try to keep all the variables the same except for one (the projectile). It's called scientific methodology. :roll: :roll:
Art

In my 45s, i would not want to go above 80gr of BH209 with a 460-490gr conical. That load is good for 1400-1440fps which is about tops without excessive barrel leading. 60gr got the same bullets out of the barrel at over 1200fps. Depending on the lube you are using, its probably better to stay under 1400fps with pure lead.

flounder said:
Doc White would shoot a 750 grain bullets with 150 grains of pyrodex. Now there's a hunting load! :p :p :p
Pete, I know you disdain lead conicals but the important thing to me in this test is the mushrooming and the weight retention. A little less powder and you might have one jug less of penetration but I know from my small amount of experience that you would have plenty to get the job done.
When you set up an experiment such as this one you try to keep all the variables the same except for one (the projectile). It's called scientific methodology. :roll: :roll:
Art

No not at all! lead conicals are very good ifn you want to use them especially heavier ones like you supplied. I had a couple of pictures of Dan's 460 mushroomed out after passing through deer - they really looked a lot like Ron's test bullet. Sides I am forced to like them a little bit because I have to use them here during ML season. If Idaho would ever get into the 21st century and change the rules - I would change bullets in a heart beat tough.

Back