Disc extreme won't fire.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I recently bought a new disc extreme in .52. I bought the breech plug and adapter from ssk and switched it over from fpj to bare primer. First shot, primer ignited , hesitation then fired. 2nd shot heard a wierd noise didn't even sound right, wasn't sure it shot the load out, but it did. Took it home cleaned it all up, shot a few primers out of it seemed to fire, loaded it up , wouldnt fire at all! The primers didn't even sound right but they have soot on them just like they fired, but load wouldn't fire. Thought I would see if anybody could give me any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your time! I used the same blackhorn powder and Winchester primers in 2 other guns and they work fine for those guns! Darin

With the charges that went off and the primers that fired, how much blow back did you have on the bolt face?

How firm are you packing that blackthorn? Regardless of what bullet/sabot you’re using that powder needs to be packed quite firm. Very firm really.

I'm packing it very firm. Have shot a lot of blackhorn out of other guns.

I'm assuming it has something to do with me changing it over to bare primer , but not sure !

If the primer ignites, shouldn't that send the charge?
You would think so but if the primer has a very poor seal in the breech plug, then you have hot gases and flame being directed back out around the primer onto the bolt face rather down thru the breech plug to the powder. Poor primer seal can cause ignition issues. That's why I was asking about blow back residue. I shimmed the primer pocket on my Ultra-lite so that it gets a slight crush on the primer and seals things off when I close the bolt. I get zero blowback and all the primer energy goes to the powder.

Yea, cleaned it real good after the first outing. How do I know about primer crush?

Yea, cleaned it real good after the first outing. How do I know about primer crush?
Just to sure.... you did ream out the flash channel right? The larger hole immediately behind the primer? And then ran a fine wire thru the flame hole? Lots of people clean the outside of plugs until they look like silver but fail to do anything with these two mentioned areas.

Measure a primer. Load it up and close the bolt. Remove and measure. The difference is the amount of crush your getting.

Alternatively, take the firing pin out of the bolt. Load a primer. If your getting crush you should feel some resistance as you finish closing the bolt.

Which Winchester Primers are you using? Do the Primers come out clean or is there soot on the outside of them? If the Primers are covered in soot, you need to shim the Primer pocket.

Ok. Thanks everyone. Have read shimming the primer pocket. Will read it again and order the shims. Might take a bit but will report back when I try it at the range again. Thanks again! Darin

Latest posts

Back