Liquid Graphite and 1st Shot Fliers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Back in June I read LarryBud's threads on using liquid graphite to solve the issue of 1st shot fliers and was very interested in trying this out. Bought the Liquid Graphite that is pictured in his threads and tried it out today. UNBELIEAVABLE! I prepped the barrel in both my Knight DISC rifles as prescribed and it worked perfectly! Both my guns shot exactly where they were zeroed at last season from the very first shot. I will be doing this with each rifle the night before opening day which is this coming Saturday here in Tennessee.

Powder: 100 grains (70 by weight) BH209
Bullet: Hornady 300 XTP with green Harvester crush rib sabot
Primer: Winchester W209

For those interested in reading about his experiment and posts here are the threads:

viewtopic.php?t=26967

viewtopic.php?t=27003

how did you coat your barrel?? I try it today cannot see any difference with it.. mine had a lite grey to it... WORM

Yes!! I too was out yesterday. My Knight Disc Elite 45 has been a problem child with 1st shot flyers. Used the graphite and Boom.. First shot right on the money.

I cleaned the oiled and stored barrel with an alcohol swab, a dry patch, ran a patch of liquid graphite, let it dry, off to the range, fired 3 primers. No flyer.

I've tried using liquid graphite or lock ease and didn't see any difference. Firing a couple primers off seems to help though in my experience. But, different guns are different animals.

I didn't let it dry Larry...Poured the powder and loaded the bullet right after swabbing with the LG patch. It will be dried though before opening morning.

Think this makes any difference?

I was actually thinking about this the other day...glad you posted it.
I wondered how many folks tried it, as I didn't recall seeing anyone post anything after Larrybud's original thread.

I have not yet tried it, but do plan to in the future. My shooting has been limited over the past couple months, and now its hunting season. Hal did you use lock-ease?

Any field tests on it's rust inhibiting properties, should folks leave their graphited MLs loaded for 3-4 days of hunting?

Moly can be a bear to remove from the bore. Its probably not the best thing for sabots but if you just shoot conicals, you might give it a try. Ive used Lyman Super Moly on a few conicals and they shot fine.

GM...I was talking more of the barrel treatment you swab in the barrel not a bullet coating...and yes your right..moly coated bullets can leave excess moly build up in barrels...why benchrest shooters swab after so many shots..that use moly coated bullets...I shoot mostly sabotless and think the coating may help reduce fouling..

Al

TripleSe7en said:
Any field tests on it's rust inhibiting properties, should folks leave their graphited MLs loaded for 3-4 days of hunting?

I would not think the graphite would be a protectant or an inducer of rust. Perhaps someone smarter than I can added a comment.

the lock type graphite is just powdered graphite in a carrier thats suppose to evaperate in time leaving the the powder coating...not sure what the carrier is ..some type of a solvent that vapes off in time...leaving the powder in the tumblers and lock barrel...since the straight graphite powder would be hard getting in there...I sprayed some on a piece of sheet metal and with in a few days was just a powder ..the carrier may be some type of Alcohol to help de ice a lock when frozen also...

Al-53 said:
the lock type graphite is just powdered graphite in a carrier thats suppose to evaperate in time leaving the the powder coating...not sure what the carrier is ..some type of a solvent that vapes off in time...leaving the powder in the tumblers and lock barrel...since the straight graphite powder would be hard getting in there...I sprayed some on a piece of sheet metal and with in a few days was just a powder ..the carrier may be some type of Alcohol to help de ice a lock when frozen also...

It would be interesting to test it on a piece of steel or better yet, a junk barrel to see the effect.

Latest posts

Back