240gr XTP 44 Bullets???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
I ran across of a crazy good deal on a close out of the Hornady XTP 240 gr .430 bullets ($10.00 per 100/box X's 4) So of course I scooped em up being that I shoot 44 magnum regularly anyway so they will get used.

I was looking to get some feed back of anybody that has used them or uses them as a go-to for deer.

I shot some from one of my Knight MK-95s many years ago. They shot good over 2 Pyrodex Pellets, when I used to use pellets, and I even harvested a small buck with one. It performed just fine on the buck, he did not complain any. :wink:

ShawnT said:
I shot some from one of my Knight MK-95s many years ago. They shot good over 2 Pyrodex Pellets, when I used to use pellets, and I even harvested a small buck with one. It performed just fine on the buck, he did not complain any. :wink:

Lol... very good to hear.... I was gonna start with my same 90 gr load I use for my Nosler 240gr.

Ive used the 300 gr XTP and really liked them I figured the 240's wouldnt dissapoint :D

My dad still shoots 2 T7 pellets with this bullet in his lk-93. Taken a lot of deer with it. A friend uses these in his Wolf over 80 gr. Blackhorn and it shoots very well. I would say 90 gr. is a good starting point.

The XTP is a great bullet. It will work fine for deer. I have shot many with the 240grain and the 300 grain. I personally get better results with the 44's than the 45's. But really that is mostly just personal preference.

Dutch said:
The XTP is a great bullet. It will work fine for deer. I have shot many with the 240grain and the 300 grain. I personally get better results with the 44's than the 45's. But really that is mostly just personal preference.

I have seen that also, early on I experimented with 45 and never had the best of luck until I went to 44

You got a fantastic deal. The XTP .44 cal-240 grain has probably killed more deer than any other bullet out there. And because it is relatively inexpensive (commonly less than $30 for a 100 bullets), it's one of the few bullets you can practice with at the range and use for hunting without breaking the bank.

I personally prefer the Speer DeepCurl .44/240 which for me shoots almost identically as the Hornady but holds together better due to the bonded jacket. But they are much harder to find.

SteveH said:
You got a fantastic deal. The XTP .44 cal-240 grain has probably killed more deer than any other bullet out there. And because it is relatively inexpensive (commonly less than $30 for a 100 bullets), it's one of the few bullets you can practice with at the range and use for hunting without breaking the bank.

I personally prefer the Speer DeepCurl .44/240 which for me shoots almost identically as the Hornady but holds together better due to the bonded jacket. But they are much harder to find.

Yea, Im a sucker for deals, that's why I have so much stuff laying around. :D

Im glad I got the deal for a good stock pile. I also shoot the DC but I shoot em in the 270 gr 44. I havnt shot any deer with them but they do look promising.

Re: 240gr XTP 44 Bullets - Range Data

Was able to get out today to test those XTP's, which definitely did not disappoint.

Here is a 5 shot group out of my CVA Wolf. 1st shot was the low one from a clean bore. XTP's settle in nice for a 4 shot cluster.

CVA Wolf
Hornady XTP 240gr .429 green crush rib 90 gr volume BH209 win 209 primer at 75 Yards

Above is a 3 shot group out of my Mountaineer, fouled barrel

Knight Mountaineer 50 cal
Hornady XTP 240gr .429 green crush rib 90 gr volume BH209 win 209 primer at 75 yards

I didnt run them over my chrono but Im sure they were right around the same velocity as my Nosler 240 gr JSP load Wolf-1721fps

Latest posts

Back