Size Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Even though i have had this converted NEF Handi-rifle since 2014. this year I get to really start to test n shoot for a good powder n bullet load. I have 3 sabots on hand, the tan comes with Barnes 195 gr bullets. The HB45/40 n the HB45/40 CR. I have not used the first Tan sabot, i have used both of the Harvester's. I have used n shot .400 XTP/SST/SW bullets. I have to use a short starter every time n a steel range rod to load them. Extremely hard to load till halfway down the bore. So not knowing exactly the bore size i don't want to waste my samolians buying half dz. Lee bullet sizers. Will the Bullet sizer Jeff Hankin's makes be a better option ?

Even though i have had this converted NEF Handi-rifle since 2014. this year I get to really start to test n shoot for a good powder n bullet load. I have 3 sabots on hand, the tan comes with Barnes 195 gr bullets. The HB45/40 n the HB45/40 CR. I have not used the first Tan sabot, i have used both of the Harvester's. I have used n shot .400 XTP/SST/SW bullets. I have to use a short starter every time n a steel range rod to load them. Extremely hard to load till halfway down the bore. So not knowing exactly the bore size i don't want to waste my samolians buying half dz. Lee bullet sizers. Will the Bullet sizer Jeff Hankin's makes be a better option ?
Yes, absolutely. The Hankins adj sizing die is the way to go.

Have ? before i make an order. This rifle i have is a .45 n i shoot the sabot .40 in it. Do you think i could ever get this light weight rifle to shoot land riders n my shoulder hold up ? So much to think on, can i get my barrel threaded for a Brake that would reduce recoil ?

Have ? before i make an order. This rifle i have is a .45 n i shoot the sabot .40 in it. Do you think i could ever get this light weight rifle to shoot land riders n my shoulder hold up ? So much to think on, can i get my barrel threaded for a Brake that would reduce recoil ?
I do have Hankins adj dies in .40 & .45.
I’m not familiar with that rifle, but as to your shoulder holding up to land riders vs .40’s in a sabot, sure. There are plenty of viable light bullets in .45 that you can push fast enough to hunt with & easy enough on your shoulder too. Also the idea of using a brake to reduce recoil would allow you a hotter charge, more velocity & the use of a heavier bullet if you wanted to do that.

I do have Hankins adj dies in .40 & .45.
I’m not familiar with that rifle, but as to your shoulder holding up to land riders vs .40’s in a sabot, sure. There are plenty of viable light bullets in .45 that you can push fast enough to hunt with & easy enough on your shoulder too. Also the idea of using a brake to reduce recoil would allow you a hotter charge, more velocity & the use of a heavier bullet if you wanted to do that.
Its a sin twister to the H&R rifle, short barrel maybe .900 at the muzzle. Weight with the scope est. 7.5 lbs kick the snot out of using 57 gr of H4198. So far in the accuracy dept is 1.5" has been the best group at 100 yds. I could be wrong but i spect palm sized groups at 200 yards. I doubt i ever shoot one that far. Means i got to get the smelly critter a long way

For 41 cal bullets, I got a Lee sizer to size them down. I have resized Barnes 41mag 180gr bullets down. My Scout loads tight all the way down with smooth HLBS. It shot so good with them, I didn't try the crush rib.
I can shoot the Barnes 45ACP 185gr TAC-XP almost straight from the package. I never tried the 160gr. In my Scout, it's not to bad on the shoulder. I'm thinking if it hard to load then halfway down it gets loose. You may have to lap the barrel for BTB.

I like my bullet choices in the .40 , i know i need to size them to a better fit in the sabots i use. I don't want make it a hobby paying for half dz. different bullets n powders. I want one set-up from one yard to two hundred yards. I have given this some thought for almost 10 years. I am going to get the sizer in .40 cal. Keep my lil ML in its same form n use sabots. Keep mild recoil n enjoy some needed shooting n relaxing.

I like my bullet choices in the .40 , i know i need to size them to a better fit in the sabots i use. I don't want make it a hobby paying for half dz. different bullets n powders. I want one set-up from one yard to two hundred yards. I have given this some thought for almost 10 years. I am going to get the sizer in .40 cal. Keep my lil ML in its same form n use sabots. Keep mild recoil n enjoy some needed shooting n relaxing.
Sounds like a good plan. Have fun & enjoy shooting that gun

Check out those bullets in the inline section. Might be worth checking into.

Here....

/www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/woodman-machined-copper-hollow-point-40-caliber-175g-bullet.59393/

Here....

/www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/woodman-machined-copper-hollow-point-40-caliber-175g-bullet.59393/
Ok those bullets, i have never tried them. By the looks of expansion picture i doubt i ever will. When it comes down to it, i want my bullets to open up well. A deer is not that tough shooting them through the ribs

Ok those bullets, i have never tried them. By the looks of expansion picture i doubt i ever will. When it comes down to it, i want my bullets to open up well. A deer is not that tough shooting them through the ribs
That was all explained by Mark Woodman in the same thread Smokepolehall. I really have no need for more smokeless bullets for hunting right now but may dive into some of these to drive at higher smokeless speeds just to see how they group. I don't need any bullets period for the BH guns.

Mark makes a darned nice looking bullet though. I may commit if he does one on .40 at 225 grain though.

What is your Handi rifle set up? I have a couple and I’m interested. There is not a lot of information that I have found on going smokeless in one.

What is your Handi rifle set up? I have a couple and I’m interested. There is not a lot of information that I have found on going smokeless in one.
I have a Vortex 3x9x40 crossfire II for optics. I have a Jeff Hankin's Savage BP with bushing n set screw & use 209 primers. My most used powders are VV110 & SR4759

Due to the short barrel, i switched to 4227 in my Handi conversion. I suggest you swab between shots and use Harvester smooth blue sabots. Don't let the barrel get warm as it will cause blown sabots. I have also shot R7 and 4198 in mine. Moa groups.

Latest posts

Back