260g CEB Maximus

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2616.JPG

This 260g 458 bullet was sent by BuckDoeHunter. Two version were sent. One sent as purchased; the other was annealed. Annealing was done to make the bullet soft enough to resize for shooting sabotless.

The standard bullet was caught by the fifth jug. A petal was caught by the third jug. The first two jugs were destroyed. Powder charge was 80 grain Blackhorn. Distance to the trap was 25 yard. Judging by the weight of the two pieces, it appears the whole bullet was captured.

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

Then the annealed bullet was shot. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn, and distance was 25 yard. About half of this bullet was caught. A search using a metal detector failed to find the rest. The smaller piece was found in the third jug. The larger piece was caught by the fourth jug. The first two jugs were destroyed.

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

Re: 260g CEB Maximus (Compare 290 gr T-EZ)

For reference this is a recovered Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet fired with a CVA MR using 2 pellets of T7. The bullet took a buck at about 40/45 yards.

71kcWdVl.jpg

One would think annealed (softer) would hold together longer.
I read somewhere that Lehigh too where hard - hard = brittle, so it makes since that it would separate pedals easier.
80grV would be around 1700fps - not so good for the $ if designed to shed pedals.

Interesting results, thanks for shooting them. I tried the annealed version out of my Brux barreled 45 cal SML, MV was around 2700fps. The bullet did not group well after being full formed in a .458 sizing die. When I pulled the bullet from the back stop of dirt, sand, and gravel, all the pedals where shed but the base was intact. Odd that the annealed bullet split in half for you, maybe that hollow point cavity is too deep.

Latest posts

Back