Woodman Machined Copper Hollow point 40 Caliber 175g Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0539.jpg

G_0540.jpgG_0530.jpg

Between the bottles and the muzzle is 25 yard. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn. Bullet actual weight is 174.8 grain.

G_0531.jpg

G_0533.jpg

Bullet destroyed the first three bottles. Holed the fourth, and fifth bottles, and made a hole into the sixth bottle, but did not penetrate the sixth bottle; did bounce off to the right about seven feet into the snow.

G_0534.jpg

Last edited:
fixed my typo's...
I wouldn't use that bullet with under 100 grv of BH209, 120 would be better. I have killed deer with that, but I always used 120 grv and it expanded nicely. The bullet in the pic attached went in the front shoulder of a deer quartering to me. It was found in the rear quarter. It made is through almost the entire length of the deer and retained all the weight. It is only 175 grains, and I would not shoot more than 150 yards because the BC is low.
This bullet is basically the same as a Barnes 175 Redhot. We also do a 195 like the Barnes Expander. I am preparing to do some heavier versons as well.

Attachments

• BARNES RED HOT 175 GR.jpg
    BARNES RED HOT 175 GR.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I wouldn't use that bullet with under 100 grw of BH209, 120 would be better. I have killed deer with that, but I used 120 grw and it expanded nicely. The bullet in the pic attached went in the front shoulder of a deer quartering to me. It was found in the rear quarter. It made is through almost the entire length of the deer and retained all the weight. It is only 175 grains, and I would not shoot more than 150 yards because the BC is low.
This bullet is basically the same as a Barnes 175 Redhot. We also do a 195 like the Barnes Expander. I am preparing to do some heavier versons as well.
Would be a dandy 🚭 youth load (=/< 100yds).

I wouldn't use that bullet with under 100 grw of BH209, 120 would be better. I have killed deer with that, but I used 120 grw and it expanded nicely. The bullet in the pic attached went in the front shoulder of a deer quartering to me. It was found in the rear quarter. It made is through almost the entire length of the deer and retained all the weight. It is only 175 grains, and I would not shoot more than 150 yards because the BC is low.
I’ll jump on board with your 195g. Can you match or beat what the Barnes cost?
I paid 30.00 shipped per 15pk my last order. They just went up from 28.00 before Christmas.

Please get a 240 gr to shoot in the 1-20 twist, thats a min required for elk in Utah .

120 grains by weight is 25 grains over the max for most guns if I’m not mistaken and 120 grains of powder is a pretty stout load for a 150 yards and under bullet.
I thought that 84g W/120g V was the new “ standard max load “ for most modern inlines. I could be wrong though.
I’ll take a faster, flatter, lighter bullet for inside 300yds any day of the wk over a slower heavier bullet with more recoil.
That really is a stout charge for inside 150yds agreed. That could be cut way back for that short range use.
The 195g Barnes are leaving my Accura at 2480fps. Pretty sweet.

Mark. Can you make a smokeless Patriot specifically for this bullet?
These bullets are knurled. When I look at Mark Woodman's website the photos show they are not knurled. Who did this? How? Why? I'm not being critical, I want to learn a lot about this bullet. Thanks.

Can you tell us what rifle you used this in? Barrel, twist, length,etc. How about a smokeless load recommendation?

Back