NULA and Thor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mmfreak

Reaction score
Has anyone that shoots a NULA tried the Thor bullets in them? If so did you shoot the 250gr or the 300gr, with what powder charge, and how did it perform?

My gun shoots absolutely lights out with Parker bullets and Harvester sabots but I would like to dump the sabot.

I also am interested in knowing the answer to this. I am currently shooting the 275BE bullet with Harvester sabot as well

Cooperfan,

A guy I know ended up sending me a sizing pack. Turns out the .500 bullet is the best fit. He is sending me some 250gr bullets to try. He shoots them in an SMI Douglas barrel over 42gr of VV N110. I'll give them a shot next week but I'm backing the charge down to 39gr.

I have the sizing kit as well.

Let me know how it shoots.

Parkers shoot so good I hate to change, but getting rid of that sabot sure does interest me

He sent me some .500/250gr bullets to try once I knew the correct size. Do you have N110 or IMR SR4759? I'll shoot whichever you have and intend to shoot.

I was able to put together a sample of four bullets measuring .500 (one with the tip missing; three with tips, one of which already had rifling engraved) and shot them with the 39gr of VV N110 that shoots so good with anything 275gr and under in my NULA. Target is at 100yds.

First shot was like bullet on left, other three like bullet on right:

1= cold/clean bore and was the one missing the tip. I used it as a sighter.
2= tipped bullet, clean
3= tipped bullet, engraved rifling. loaded with twice the resistance of the two before it.
4= tipped bullet, clean

100ys target reflecting 1-4 above:

I think they are worth pursuing. The four shots today were about 4x larger than my gun shoots with Parkers but that is nice to have precision, not must have. Also, I am fairly certain that with all clean bullets (vs a bullet engraved to a different barrel) I probably would not have had the high shot on 3 which I assume was from more pressure as it loaded with twice the difficulty.

Good information. I plan do the same with my NULA. I remember reading (somewhere) that the Thor bullets tend to vary enough in diameter that some may need to be resized.

When I mic'd them they are definitely out of round. I'm attempting to get the left-overs sized but I do not have a .500" sizer.

Back