Fury star ripped 250 .402

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Poteet

Reaction score
I have been shooting the fury star tips and 225 with harvester light blue over 57 grains of h4198. Withe good accuracy but I just ordered some .402 250 grain furys to try and the harvester light blue sabots should I keep my powder charge the same? Not trying to blow out the sabots

I have been shooting the fury star tips and 225 with harvester light blue over 57 grains of h4198. Withe good accuracy but I just ordered some .402 250 grain furys to try and the harvester light blue sabots should I keep my powder charge the same? Not trying to blow out the sabots
That charge with a 250g bullet will not blow out the sabot.

Would gain much ballistics or terminal performance. My shots are always 150 or closer. Also would there be any benefit going above 57gr

Above 57 and you will have plastic problems you can try 55 56 I have found almost always the accuracy to be at 57 it'll do everything you want to do of course out to 150 yards and more,, I'm not such a fanatic about the 57 because of more velocity I'm a fanatic about the 57 because it is The Sweet Spot in 90 to 100% of my rifles so much so that it's almost odd it's so constant

Would gain much ballistics or terminal performance. My shots are always 150 or closer. Also would there be any benefit going above 57gr
If most of your shots are inside 200yds you do not need any more velocity than what 57g will give you for a very effective hunting load. I haven't used 4198 but I've used a bunch of N120 & I can tell you this, the light blue crush ribs held up fine with 60g N120 & that 250g ST2P but 58g N120 stacked 3 in a single clean hole. Like Mnt MOnkey said, & he has a bunch of exp with those bullets & powder. You'll find your best accuracy within the range he told you & the recoil is not punishing either.

Back