Bonded vs Non Bonded Shockwaves???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mountain man

Very well said and written...There is always a reason the bonded shock wave was introduced which I concur is for the 2000fps + shooters. :D

Any recovered bullets to answer the question?

Yeah I do have a couple of the 250gr SSTs. Neither bullet has the jacket/core intact. One is just the jacket and one is the jacket and core but seperated. I'll take a picture.

I REALLY don't see why muzzleloading projectiles have not kept pace with their centerfire counterpart. The common excuse from bullet makers is that muzzleloading projectiles have to operate at a such a large velocity window. I really DON'T see why Hornady doesn't give us a SST-HV designed only for use in muzzleloaders with a muzzle velocity over 2100-2200fps. The average centerfire reloader knows to not use bullets designed for a .300 Weatherby in their .30 WCF. I guess we were all hoping the Bonded Shockwave would be the answer but from the FEW animals I've see that were shot with one it appears to offer little advantage over the conventional SST/Shockwave. Still, I've pretty sure I'm going to give the Bonded Shockwave more field time this fall.

While you are thinking...

The reason I ask is that the 250 SST will be the projectile loaded in the new Hornady SST 20ga shells with the following velocities...

All I can say is that at 1700-1800fps the SST appears to operate PERFECTLY. It wouldn't bother me if that 20ga load were going a little faster. Of course most shotgunners aren't going to shoot much over 100yds anyway I'd think. That load should be fine.

big6x6 said:
I REALLY don't see why muzzleloading projectiles have not kept pace with their centerfire counterpart.

No kidding, what great niche for the first bullet maker that can think this way. :idea:

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
big6x6 said:
I REALLY don't see why muzzleloading projectiles have not kept pace with their centerfire counterpart.

No kidding, what great niche for the first bullet maker that can think this way. :idea:

There is one company that does, Barnes. :lol: Although I'm sure that's not what you mean. :wink: It's time that a company produce a premium lead/jacketed bullet for the muzzleloaders on the higher velocity end.

Back