1-38 Twist Rate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Just got an email back from customer service. They told me my newest accusation, a .50 T/C white Mountain Carbine, has a 1-38 rate of twist based on the serial number. Anyone have any experience here? That's a new one to me, I thought it would have been faster than that. Thanks as always.

That's one thing I could never do, pairing gun makes/models.
You now seem to have three White Carbines. I prefer mine to be all different.

What are your questions on the 38-twist? I recall a range officer using 300-350gr sabots in his 38-twist. Had to of been 15-20 years ago.

The nearest thing I have in twist to your WMC is my Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1-32 twist, and I have a CVA Tracker Carbine I was told has a 1-32 twist. All I can tell you is they shoot roundball if you shoot reduced powder charges. Actually my LGPH shoots them real well. And they shoot conicals in the 300 grain range. They also shoot sabots with 240 - 300 grain bullets pretty good.

Please keep us informed as to what you find the rifle likes. I almost purchased a WMC once but the seller and I could not agree on a price. He thought the rifle was lined with gold or something, from what he was asking. They are a neat little rifle.

Thanks.

I'll have to try it out. Just seeing if any one had a good starting point. I've never killed a deer with a traditionally styled muzzleloader. I think this year I'll make a solid attempt.

I just have the two WMC's one 50 and a 54. The 54 was a gift and has one of the nicest stocks I've seen. I couldn't take beating it through the woods so I got this one. I have a Hawken and would like to add a few more to my stash. I really want a New Englander and a PA Hunter. Also wouldn't mind a Grey Hawk. Have to keep my eyes open and see what I can find. I have been lucky and found mine at very reasonable prices.

A buddy of mine has one and he is using my Paper Patched Lee 500 S&W bullets. That thing shoots them awesome.

Johndeer02-a.jpg

Johndeer05-a.jpg

I'll have to do some research. I have to admit I don't know how to paper patch. Is he buying them or casting them himself? Seems like most offerings I recall seeing are cast pretty hard.

The T/C FireHawks came in the 1:38 twist in .50 an .54 caliber. I know its a inline, but I killed many deer with my .54 using a saboted 260 lead Knight bullet.

1:38 will shoot saboted 240-300 gr. bullets very well my T/C Firehawk was deadly w/240 gr. xtp w/green sabots and 100 gr. pyrodex pellets., I have a CVA Musket Mag that's 1:32 that I'm getting to ready to scope and see what it will shoot well..probably close to the same bullets..might want to try Ed Mehligs 330 gr. conicals also, they shoot great out of all my muzzleloaders..

Thanks to all. This has been very helpful. Might be my excuse to start casting.

Latest posts

Back