10MLII and 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzle

Reaction score
I have read alot about the Savage 10 MLII shooting smokeless powder well. My dilema on purchasing a 10MLII is that I live in Colorado and can only use black powder (no smokeless) for muzzleloading season and open sights. I can use smokeless during regular rifle season. My question is how well does the 10MLII shoot black powder like 777 or Black Mag 3? I am also looking at the Austin Halleck 320 I can get at a local shop for $299. Any help would be great I am heading up next week for an Elk hunt on private property and the land owner only allows muzzloader during rifle season due to neighbors but the property has a 90% success rate.

Buy the Austin & Halleck, the Savage will shot 777 but cleanup and maintenance will be rough.

Buy the Savage next year :wink:

Muzzle said:
My question is how well does the 10MLII shoot black powder like 777 or Black Mag 3?

I have never shot BlackMag through one, but I have shot several pounds of Triple 7 FFg loose through a 10ML-II. The best load I have is 110 gr. FFg (volume) and a 405 grain Powerbelt, though it shoots the 348s well also.

The only cautionary note with the 10ML-II is to loosen the breech plug after the first two T7 shots and retighten. Then you can shoot all day.

Cleanup is marginally easier on the Savage-- as the bolt never needs disassembly, and says far cleaner. The breechplug on the A & H is two piece, but you have a ventliner on the Savage so that part is a "push."

Latest posts

Back