#11 caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward.penny

Reaction score
Who uses them and would you convert to 209 if you could? I know some guns shoot better with the # 11 caps. I have had a couple guns that used the # 11 caps and a couple that used the 209 primers. I had hang fires with both but once I learned to clean and load I haven't had any.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Years ago I converted a lk93 to 209 primer so it would shoot pellets reliably. It worked no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: #11 caps

edward.penny said:
I have a Knight Wolverine

I done 2 lk93s and it works great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

edward.penny said:
I have a Knight Wolverine

Wolverine-70.jpg

I have a Wolverine also - I shoot #11 Mag Caps by choice. They real key is getting a #11 nipple that the caps fits on tightly. There is no real need to use a 209 in an open breech pluger gun.

These are the cap I prefer

RWS-Dynamit-Noble-1075-plus.jpg

If you have the right nipple you can make the breech nearly water proof.

Knight_Red_Hot_Cap_Fit.jpg

If you get the correct nipple/cap fit the only way to get the cap off is to shoot it off or peal it off with the edge of a knife blade.

herschel conyers said:
Years ago I converted a lk93 to 209 primer so it would shoot pellets reliably. It worked no problems.

Just following recommendations.
00a6eaf822cf9ec4d73928e642ee06d9.jpg

Let me rephrase I prefer #11 or musket cap because on plunger guns the red plastic jackets are a pain to mess(load/unload) with and you get almost as much blowback as using the latter. Musket caps are easy to carry fast to load and very reliable in about any weather other then maybe a torrential downpour.
On a gun that was already set up for 209, bolt gun(bare primer) or break open I would leave 209.

Plunger guns prefer #11 or better yet musket caps, easier to handle.

Re: RE: Re: #11 caps

dbowling said:
Plunger guns prefer #11 or better yet musket caps, easier to handle.
I disagree my lk93s are plungers.they love the conversion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If your gun was set up for 209 primers would you change to #11 and why?

Only to comply with the regulations of certain western states, if I was planning a hunt there.

If choosing #11 Caps I would first opt for the RWS 1075 Plus, then CCI Magnum and then Remington #11 caps. If you prefer the usability of putting on and taking off with bare fingers and a little hotter spark if you would. Then I would opt for the RWS Musket caps. Sometimes depending on the cap and nipple #11 caps can be difficult to remove in the field and may require a cap remover or some tool to remove it.

An often overlooked advantage of caps in plunger fired inlines is the caps seal the rear of the charge better than a 209. Look at a 209 holder for most plungers and you'll see a significant space in the front of the primer. This allows moisture to get to the charge and it also increases breech fouling.
A musket cap or #11 completely covers the nipple and does a much better job of sealing off the rear of the charge. They also don't foul the breech nearly as badly.
I also found that the least powerful ignition source, consistent with good ignition, gives the best accuracy. I believe this is due to the more powerful primers cause the charge to begin to move before full ignition of the powder occurs.
I prefer Remington 11s to all others. The cap stays intact in the vast majority of shots. CCIs fragment badly, although their musket caps ( both 4 and 6 petal) are excellent.
The rifles I've tested this on are a Traditions Tracker, Knight American, Knight Mk85, 45 and 50 caliber TC Black Diamonds and a TC Omega Z5 .50 caliber using 209' s and Variflame adaptors with small rifle and small pistol primers, both regular and magnum versions.
11s work fine with black powder and loose Triple 7.
Good luck!

Back